Is there a good program to debug server side Classic ASP

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Alan, Feb 26, 2009.

  1. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Hi all

    I am looking for an application in which to write ASP pages and
    debug server side vbscript in those pages.
    I am using Windows XP and its associated IIS server.
    The site uses a microsoft access database and front page extensions.

    I have been using Frontpage 2003 to write and publish but I
    am continually frustrated by the limited error information returned
    and the inability to step through code, set breakpoints and monitor
    parameter values.

    I downloaded Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition but cannot get
    server side debugging to work - I am not even sure that this
    capability is present in the program.

    Is there anything out there in the market that might be helpful,
    specifically in debugging server side script?

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Cheers

    Alan, Feb 26, 2009

  2. You are correct the express edition does not support debugging of code
    running in IIS.

    Ideally you would want the Pro version however you can download the free
    Script debugger from Microsoft. That will allow you to attach to the
    appropriate IIS process and debug server side script. Use the Web Developer
    for development make sure you've patched it to SP1 though.

    BTW, consider using ASP.NET instead, you can debug ASP.NET in Web Developer.

    Anthony Jones, Feb 26, 2009

  3. Alan

    Alan Guest

    --
    Alan

    Is there much involved in moving from ASP to ASP.NET? Can I use msAccess as
    the database in ASP.NET and is the ASP.NET code much different. It took me a
    long time to bootstrap myself into ASP (from knowing nothing about web page
    code) and develop the web site but if it is better using ASP.NET then I would
    be willing to spend time exploring it. Ths web site services a small ski
    club and provides on line membership renewal and ability to book and cost
    rooms in a ski lodge and ability for members to change contact phone numbers
    etc on line.

    Thanks...Alan

    Alan, Feb 26, 2009
  4. ASP is not really supported anymore by Microsoft; so excerpt for supporting
    legacy applications, you're probably losing your time trying to learn ASP.
    In the old time, you had to use Visual Interdev or Visual Studio 6 to debug
    ASP application but these two products are no longer sold by Microsoft.
    However, the Microsoft Script Debugger should be able to do the job on WinXP
    and IIS 5.1.

    There is a world of difference between ASP and ASP.NET but ASP.NET is the
    future; so it's there that you should put your time. A second interesting
    option would be PHP as it's development model is closer to ASP than to
    ASP.NET and is widely used today. WEB Expression 2 - the successor of
    FrontPage - support PHP and ASP.NET but not ASP. However, for creating a
    full debugging environment, I'm not sure how well or easy you can do it with
    PHP on IIS 5.1.

    --
    Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
    MVP - Windows Live Platform

    Sylvain Lafontaine, Feb 28, 2009
  5. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Thanks Sylvain. It looks as though I might need to take the plunge
    and go ASP.NET

    I would rather spend my time learning a more powerful language than
    perservering with ASP or, from what you say, PHP.

    My frustration level with ASP is high as it just takes so much
    patience to re read the code and re read it again to pull out what
    might be going wrong.

    Thanks for your help Sylvian and Andrew. I very much appreciate it.

    Kind regards...Alan

    Alan, Mar 1, 2009