Is there a Visual J++ Enterprise edition

tedqn

The Visual Studio 6 Enterprise edition I have contains Disc 1,2,3 and
Visual J++ Professional Edition. Is this correct?

Oliver Wong

The Visual Studio 6 Enterprise edition I have contains Disc 1,2,3 and
Visual J++ Professional Edition. Is this correct?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question, but how can anyone other than
you know what you have?

For what it's worth, I could not find a reference to Visual J++
Enterprise Edition on Microsoft's website (there were some references to it
on other sites, but those other sites might not be reliable sources of
information). I think Microsoft is also trying to push people away from J++
and J#, and more towards C#, so I wouldn't be too surprised to find out that
the J++ family of products is "lacking" in some way or another.

- Oliver

tedqn

Hi Oliver, sorry for the misunderstanding. I meant to ask people who
also have Visual Studio 6 Enterprise Edition.

Jon Martin Solaas

Andrew said:
He's not available right now.

..Perhaps I should point out that MS and Java "don't play"
very well together. Any 'Java' offering from MS has had a
number of difficult aspects to it.

MS tools for Java are generally obsolete, and otherwise
highly suspicious.

First thing first; Visual J++ Professional shipped with VS6 Enterprise
as I recollect it. But that was a long time ago ...

Actually Visual J++ weren't half bad given the alternatives at the time,
but it were twisted towards Microsoft and not any existing standards,
using it's own windowing system etc. etc. The fact that it supports an
actual programming language would make me use it over the more common VB
6, if I'd have to program in VS 6. But I don't have to :)

Today VJ++ is not suitable for anything else than maintaining legacy
win32 code or targeting win32 sans .net platforms.

Andrew Thompson

Jon Martin Solaas wrote:
Today VJ++ is not suitable for anything else than maintaining legacy
win32 code or targeting win32 sans .net platforms.

The only support that MS is supplying for the MSVM is ..
- a link to the Sun plug-in.
- a link to a tool to identify applications that make use of
the MSVM, and therefore require conversion ( I guess the
page would push 'convert to .NET' heavily ;).

Thomas Weidenfeller

The Visual Studio 6 Enterprise edition I have contains Disc 1,2,3 and
Visual J++ Professional Edition. Is this correct?

If you want to learn Java, throw that stuff away. J++ is not Java. It is
based on a very old Java version with incompatible extensions. Plus,
Microsoft dropped development and support of J++ and Java some time ago,

If you want to learn Java, go to Sun's web site, and download the Java
SDK. Or, if you really want to wrestle with an IDE instead of learning
Java, get one of the several free Java IDEs, like Eclipse, or Sun's
Netbeans IDE.

Start here

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/getStarted/cupojava/index.html

But if you really want to do J++, please ask in a Microsoft group.

/Thomas

Mickey Segal

Jon Martin Solaas said:
Today VJ++ is not suitable for anything else than maintaining legacy win32
code or targeting win32 sans .net platforms.

If you have code that is Java 1.1 and you want to keep it at Java 1.1 and
you are already using VJ++ it makes sense to keep using VJ++ - it is a fine
development environment and it is very easy to avoid using the Microsoft
extensions to Java. It doesn't make much sense to start using VJ++ now
because it is a dead-end environment, having been abandoned by Microsoft.

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen

The Visual Studio 6 Enterprise edition I have contains Disc 1,2,3 and
Visual J++ Professional Edition. Is this correct?

Yes, there never was an enterprise edition of J++ since Microsoft
abandoned Java at a point before enterprise Java was much more than
the Servlet spec.

Microsoft want you to use .Net instead, providing "J#" for the purpose
of porting J++ apps to it.