Is wizard control suitable for editing records?

Bogdan

Hi,

I'd like to use wizard control to edit a single record - i.e. allow a user
to change info and save it in db. I'd like to group record's fields
logically on 4 different pages. The interface I'm looking for is like a
tabbed view but instead of tabs at the top I'd like to have a navigation
list on the left side. I think I could implement this with a list of links
on the left side and a multiview on the right side. But, it seems that
wizard control already has this built-in. I think I could enable wizard's
side bar on the left and hide previous/next buttons so users can move from
page to page using side bar only. I will also keep the finish button
(labelled "Update") on every page (i.e. every wizard's step).

There is no requirement that a user needs to visit every page or move from
page to page sequentially.

Is this going to work?

I'd appreciate any comments.

Thanks,
Bogdan

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Most likely, you are going to be fine with this approach. If not, you can
code it by hand using panels.

Hillbilly

The 2.0 Wizard control is built using the MultiView control which in itself
remains an option for those of use who want more control of the entire
process. The Sidebar the Wizard uses to select views is a DataList control.
Referencing and managing the properties of the members of the DataList as it
is used with the Wizard is no cakewalk nor is using the Wizard control
itself when all is said and done as there is a lot going on. Managing the
display of the Next-Previous-Finish buttons is not difficult at all --but--
there are some real dandy little surprises the way everything works together
which makes learning to use this control time consuming which is well worth
it too I might add.