JAVA as C (or C++) Front End

Andrew Thompson

(snip explanation/link)
Thanks, that explains it.
How strange. Almost every home has one in my part of the world.

...ahhh.

Almost every home in my part of the world has plants*,
I suppose some of those are 'jade' plants..

* Mine doesn't - I kill house plants. The only reason the plants
in the yard live is that they are tough, and I leave them alone.

...and.
It is a succulent houseplant plant, almost unkillable.

'almost' unkillable? It would be doomed at my place. :-(

To answer my own question. "Yes, it was just me". (Duhhh)

Chris Uppal

Andrew said:
[1] (shrugs) Maybe it's just me..

I don't think so. I'd never heard of jade plants either, so you are not alone.

(And when you add that I had a plant-fanatic for a mother, and that my --
fairly large -- encyclopedia of house-and-garden plants has no entry for "jade
plant" either, I feel certain that /we/ are not alone ;-)

I may as well add that, IMO, the Swing/AWT design is pretty damned gnarled,
even if was created "de novo".

-- chris

zero

That being said, I find the Java AWT and Swing APIs,
while initially
daunting and completely confusing, rather full-featured
and mostly
sensible once I took the time to properly understand
LayoutManagers
and such. So I do think you can say that Java does a
pretty good job
providing a GUI API (with certain glaring exceptions,
I'm sure).

Yes I didn't mean to say that Java's GUI making is not
easier than
native Windows GUIs. Ok that sentence confuses me and I'm
the one who
wrote it. What I mean is that I agree making a GUI with
AWT/Swing is
indeed easier than native Windows GUIs. I was just refuting
the
original statement which seemed to claim that C makes it
hard. It's not
in the language, it's in the API.

Of course in the strictest sense AWT & Swing are APIs too,
so you could
say those are easier than the Win32 API - completely
independent of the
language they are used in.

Roedy Green

I was just refuting
the
original statement which seemed to claim that C makes it
hard. It's not
in the language, it's in the API.

That's true, but Java GC makes managing all those gui objects a lot
easier. Further you have only one addressing mode to deal with in
Java. Nailing down thread code as effectively part of the language is
a boon too.

I remember in the early 90s writing my own C Thread package for
windows 3.1.

..

Luc The Perverse

Roedy Green said:
That's true, but Java GC makes managing all those gui objects a lot
easier. Further you have only one addressing mode to deal with in
Java. Nailing down thread code as effectively part of the language is
a boon too.

I remember in the early 90s writing my own C Thread package for
windows 3.1.

I believe GUI development lends itself very well to OOP. In this way C
would have a hard time matching a well integrated OO-GUI system.

A more fair comparison would be comparing the GUI aspects of MFC with Java
equivalents (swing etc.) I think Java has it beaten hands down, simply
because of what someone already said, Sun already had several bases to go
off of.