    Java tells me it wants one inch margins for printing with a LaserJet
    1200. I have seen it get much closer to the edges than that. Is
    there something I am doing wrong?

    Roedy Green, Jun 2, 2014

  2. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    The Canon MP210 does the same thing. I wonder if Java is ignoring what
    the printer says, and just uses as standard one inch.

    Roedy Green, Jun 2, 2014

  3. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    I found that the HP can physically print with .3" side margins and .25
    top and bottom margins.

    I found the Canon an print with .3" side margins and a 0.1 top and
    bottom margin. I can do this from Java if I ignore the printable
    regions that PrinterJob tells me.

    Roedy Green, Jun 2, 2014
  4. See PageFormat.setPaper(), Paper.setImageableArea() and Paper.setSize().

    Knute Johnson, Jun 2, 2014
  5. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    That lets me handle setting margins a bit more elegantly, and tells me
    where the 1" margins came from, but it does not let me query now
    narrow the margins of any given printer can be.

    Another related question. When you print landscape, are you supposed
    to just pretend you are printing on an 11 x 8.5 paper, or are you
    supposed two print on an 8.5 x 11 paper and rotate the image yourself?

    Roedy Green, Jun 3, 2014
  6. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    The more I experiment, the stranger it gets.
    I can make it work if I ALSO select landscape in the printer option
    dialog. According to the docs, this should not work. LANDSCAPE is
    supposed to invert the direction of the y axis, but not rotate it.

    I think the way to handle this is to always print portrait, but do
    the rotations etc myself so the user does not need to fiddle with the
    printer configuration.

    Roedy Green, Jun 3, 2014
  7. I think you should set the PageFormat to landscape. Please see the
    following code that I wrote to print images.

    //
    //
    // ImagePrinter
    //
    //
    // Version Date Modification
    //
    // 00.10 20 Jun 08 Incept
    // 00.11 23 Jun 08 add image file path to frame
    // 00.12 11 Jul 08 correct minor bug with page format
    // 00.20 22 Aug 08 add file filter to filechooser
    // 00.30 11 Dec 09 add code to persist page format
    // 00.31 22 Feb 10 change Image menu name to View and move Load
    Image
    // to File menu
    // 00.32 01 Apr 10 remove the orientation parameter from the page
    // format persistence
    // 00.34 09 Mar 12 modify to put data file in user.home
    // 00.40 03 Dec 13 center frame in screen
    //
    //

    package com.knutejohnson.tools.imageprinter;

    import java.awt.*;
    import java.awt.event.*;
    import java.awt.image.*;
    import java.awt.print.*;
    import java.io.*;
    import javax.imageio.*;
    import javax.swing.*;

    public class ImagePrinter extends JFrame implements ActionListener,
    Printable {
    static final String VERSION = "00.40";
    static final String DATE = "3 Decemter 2013";
    static final String HOME =
    System.getProperties().getProperty("user.home");
    static final String DATA_FILE = ".imageprinter";

    private final File dataFile;
    private final JFileChooser fc;
    private final PrinterJob pj;

    // the following are thread constrained
    private PageFormat pf;
    private BufferedImage bi;
    private boolean centered;
    private boolean scaled;
    private String fileName = "";

    public ImagePrinter() {
    super("ImagePrinter");

    setDefaultCloseOperation(JFrame.DISPOSE_ON_CLOSE);

    addWindowListener(new WindowAdapter() {
    public void windowClosed(WindowEvent we) {
    saveData(pf);
    }
    });

    dataFile = new File(HOME,DATA_FILE);

    pj = PrinterJob.getPrinterJob();
    pf = pj.defaultPage();
    pj.setPrintable(this);
    fc = new JFileChooser("/");
    fc.addChoosableFileFilter(new ImageFileFilter());

    loadData(pf);

    JMenuBar mb = new JMenuBar();
    setJMenuBar(mb);

    JMenu file = new JMenu("File");
    JMenu view = new JMenu("View");
    JMenu help = new JMenu("Help");

    mb.add(file);
    mb.add(view);
    mb.add(help);

    JMenuItem pageFormat = new JMenuItem("Page Format");
    JMenuItem print = new JMenuItem("Print");
    JMenuItem quit = new JMenuItem("Quit");
    JMenuItem selectImage = new JMenuItem("Load Image");
    JCheckBoxMenuItem center = new JCheckBoxMenuItem("Center");
    JCheckBoxMenuItem scale = new JCheckBoxMenuItem("Scale To Fit");
    JMenuItem about = new JMenuItem("About");

    pageFormat.addActionListener(this);
    print.addActionListener(this);
    quit.addActionListener(this);
    selectImage.addActionListener(this);
    center.addActionListener(this);
    scale.addActionListener(this);
    about.addActionListener(this);

    file.add(selectImage);
    file.add(pageFormat);
    file.add(print);
    file.add(new JSeparator());
    file.add(quit);
    view.add(center);
    view.add(scale);
    help.add(about);

    add(new ImagePanel(),BorderLayout.CENTER);

    pack();
    setLocationRelativeTo(null);
    setVisible(true);

    String ac = ae.getActionCommand();
    if (ac.equals("Page Format")) {
    pf = pj.pageDialog(pf);
    repaint();
    } else if (ac.equals("Print")) {
    if (pj.printDialog())
    try {
    if (bi == null)
    throw new PrinterException("No Image Loaded");
    pj.print();
    } catch (PrinterException pe) {
    JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(ImagePrinter.this,pe,
    "Printing Error",JOptionPane.ERROR_MESSAGE);
    }
    } else if (ac.equals("Quit")) {
    dispose();
    } else if (ac.equals("Load Image")) {
    int opt = fc.showOpenDialog(ImagePrinter.this);
    if (opt == JFileChooser.APPROVE_OPTION) {
    try {
    File file = fc.getSelectedFile();
    bi = ImageIO.read(file);
    if (bi == null) {
    JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(ImagePrinter.this,
    "Selected File Is Not An Image File",
    "Error Loading Image",JOptionPane.ERROR_MESSAGE);
    fileName = "";
    } else {
    fileName = file.getPath();
    }
    } catch (IOException ioe) {
    JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(ImagePrinter.this,
    ioe,"Error Loading Image",
    JOptionPane.ERROR_MESSAGE);
    }
    repaint();
    }
    } else if (ac.equals("Center")) {
    JCheckBoxMenuItem center = (JCheckBoxMenuItem)ae.getSource();
    centered = center.isSelected();
    repaint();
    } else if (ac.equals("Scale To Fit")) {
    JCheckBoxMenuItem scale = (JCheckBoxMenuItem)ae.getSource();
    scaled = scale.isSelected();
    repaint();
    } else if (ac.equals("About")) {
    JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(ImagePrinter.this,
    "ImagePrinter\nVersion: " + VERSION + " - " + DATE + "\n" +
    "Copyright \u00a9 Knute Johnson 2008-2013. All rights
    reserved.",
    "About",JOptionPane.INFORMATION_MESSAGE);

    public int print(Graphics g,PageFormat pf,int index) {
    if (index == 0) {
    render(g);
    return Printable.PAGE_EXISTS;
    } else
    return Printable.NO_SUCH_PAGE;
    }

    void render(Graphics g2D) {
    Graphics2D g = (Graphics2D)g2D;
    int x = (int)pf.getImageableX();
    int y = (int)pf.getImageableY();
    int w = bi.getWidth();
    int h = bi.getHeight();

    if (scaled) {
    double aspectRatioOfPage =
    pf.getImageableWidth() / pf.getImageableHeight();
    double aspectRatioOfImage = (double)w / h;
    if (aspectRatioOfImage > aspectRatioOfPage) {
    double scale = pf.getImageableWidth() / bi.getWidth();
    w = (int)(w * scale);
    h = (int)(h * scale);
    } else {
    double scale = pf.getImageableHeight() / bi.getHeight();
    w = (int)(w * scale);
    h = (int)(h * scale);
    if (centered) {
    int adjust = ((int)pf.getImageableWidth() - w) / 2;
    x += adjust;

    adjust = ((int)pf.getImageableHeight() - h) / 2;
    y += adjust;
    }
    g.drawImage(bi,x,y,w,h,null);
    }

    private void loadData(PageFormat pf) {
    Paper paper = pf.getPaper();
    try {
    BufferedReader br = new BufferedReader(new
    FileReader(dataFile));
    double x = Double.parseDouble(br.readLine());
    double y = Double.parseDouble(br.readLine());
    double iX = Double.parseDouble(br.readLine());
    double iY = Double.parseDouble(br.readLine());
    double w = Double.parseDouble(br.readLine());
    double h = Double.parseDouble(br.readLine());
    br.close();
    paper.setImageableArea(x,y,iX,iY);
    paper.setSize(w,h);
    pf.setPaper(paper);
    } catch (IOException ioe) {
    ioe.printStackTrace();
    } catch (NumberFormatException nfe) {
    nfe.printStackTrace();

    private void saveData(PageFormat pf) {
    Paper paper = pf.getPaper();
    try {
    BufferedWriter bw = new BufferedWriter(new
    FileWriter(dataFile));
    bw.write(Double.toString(paper.getImageableX()));
    bw.newLine();
    bw.write(Double.toString(paper.getImageableY()));
    bw.newLine();
    bw.write(Double.toString(paper.getImageableWidth()));
    bw.newLine();
    bw.write(Double.toString(paper.getImageableHeight()));
    bw.newLine();
    bw.write(Double.toString(paper.getWidth()));
    bw.newLine();
    bw.write(Double.toString(paper.getHeight()));
    bw.newLine();
    bw.close();
    } catch (IOException ioe) {
    ioe.printStackTrace();

    class ImagePanel extends JPanel {
    public ImagePanel() {
    setPreferredSize(new Dimension(500,500));
    }

    public void paintComponent(Graphics g2D) {
    // anti-alias all drawing
    Graphics2D g = (Graphics2D)g2D;
    g.setRenderingHint(RenderingHints.KEY_ANTIALIASING,
    RenderingHints.VALUE_ANTIALIAS_ON);
    // draw file pathname
    g.drawString(fileName,10,20);
    // set scale
    g.scale(0.5,0.5);
    // center the paper in the frame
    g.translate((getWidth() * 2.0 - pf.getWidth()) / 2.0,
    (getHeight() * 2.0 - pf.getHeight()) / 2.0);
    // draw the paper
    g.drawRect(0,0,(int)pf.getWidth(),(int)pf.getHeight());
    // draw the imageable area
    g.drawRect((int)pf.getImageableX(),(int)pf.getImageableY(),
    (int)pf.getImageableWidth(),(int)pf.getImageableHeight());
    // draw the image if it exists
    if (bi != null)
    render(g);

    static class ImageFileFilter extends
    javax.swing.filechooser.FileFilter {
    public boolean accept(File file) {
    return file.isDirectory() || file.getName().matches(
    "^.*\\.(?i:jpg|jpeg|png|bmp|wbmp|gif)$");
    }

    public String getDescription() {
    return "Image Files";

    EventQueue.invokeLater(new Runnable() {
    public void run() {
    new ImagePrinter();
    }
    });

    Knute Johnson, Jun 5, 2014
  8. No it doesn't and if you figure that out I would love to know. I
    originally thought that you could get that information from the
    PrinterJob somehow but I can't figure it out.

    Knute Johnson, Jun 5, 2014
  9. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    This is what I did. I works fine. I let the user optionally adjust the
    margins. There is no sign of a native method to find out the true
    margins.

    Roedy Green, Jun 5, 2014
  10. Roedy Green

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    I've not tested javax.print.attribute.standard.MediaPrintableArea.

    Jeff Higgins, Jun 6, 2014
  11. I'll look into that, thanks.

    Knute Johnson, Jun 6, 2014
  12. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    Nothing rotated. I could get it to rotate by choosing landscape by
    clicking into the Windows printer dialog.

    And of course I was able to get it to rotate with AffineTransform.

    Roedy Green, Jun 8, 2014
  13. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    I had a look at the code. The margins are set to one inch all the
    time. There is no native method to find out the actual margins.

    I suppose you could collect the numbers for thousands of printers. I
    don't know if PrintJob will give you a manfacturer and model number.

    Maybe a bit of JNI could add that ability.

    Roedy Green, Jun 8, 2014
  14. Maybe I misunderstood what you wanted. To print landscape just select
    landscape but if you want your image drawn rotated, you have to do that
    yourself.

    Knute Johnson, Jun 8, 2014
  15. Roedy Green

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    Jeff Higgins, Jun 9, 2014
  16. Roedy Green

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    Jeff Higgins, Jun 9, 2014
  17. To be honest I default the margins to 0.3 inches for my printer. But
    select PageFormat from the File menu and you can set the margins.

    Knute Johnson, Jun 9, 2014
  18. Roedy Green

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    Intersting site, especially the section titled
    "PDF is the standard print job format from CUPS 1.6.x on".
    <http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/group>
    Thanks to all for the prompting.

    Jeff Higgins, Jun 9, 2014
  19. Roedy Green