Java printing Margins

Discussion in 'Java' started by Roedy Green, Jun 2, 2014.

  1. On 6/9/2014 09:10, Martin Gregorie wrote:
    > On Mon, 09 Jun 2014 07:26:29 -0700, Knute Johnson wrote:
    >
    >> To be honest I default the margins to 0.3 inches for my printer. But
    >> select PageFormat from the File menu and you can set the margins.

    > Oddly, I can't set anything apart from 25.4 mm margins on your program. I
    > can set one of the margins how I like, but a soon as I tab to the next
    > (or just click on it) the one I just changed reverts to 25.4 mm. I was
    > going to see what happened if I printed an image with zero width margins
    > all round.
    >
    > PS: and OTT: Knute, I've just been watching a BBC program about D-Day
    > technology, which showed shots of Horsa troop-carrying gliders landing,
    > seen from the ground. I don't think I've even seen such steep approaches
    > (the Horsa could manage a 1:2 approach angle) or such low level and
    > sudden rotations into the flare. The film is here:
    >
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b045gr8m/the-science-of-dday
    >
    > though I don't know if you'll be able to see it as the BBC often limits
    > viewing the the UK. However, I'm told there are a lot of videos of Horsas
    > on U-tube. Well, there are, but most are pretty bad. This is one of the
    > better ones:
    >
    > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HBZbOnmUPw

    The BBC video is blocked. The Horsa with those big flaps would really
    come down. Better than the Waco CG4As.

    My folks had a friend who was a glider troop. He was training in the
    the northeast US somewhere when the war ended. He told me that during
    training he never "landed" in a glider. They were always destroyed when
    they came to a stop. He wasn't looking forward to actually being in a
    combat landing.

    Have you see this video?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsAKWma3zbY

    --

    Knute Johnson

    Knute Johnson, Jun 9, 2014

  2. Roedy Green

    markspace Guest

    markspace, Jun 9, 2014

  3. Roedy Green

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    On 06/09/2014 05:04 PM, markspace wrote:

    >> Huh. http://localhost:631/, never knew that was there.
    >>

    > There's also port 9100 on many printers and print servers which you can
    > print to.
    >
    > http://danieru.com/2013/06/06/what-is-port-9100-how-to-print-to-it/

    I've learned a lot about printing over the last (very profitable) hours.
    Thanks.

    Jeff Higgins, Jun 9, 2014
  4. On 6/9/2014 15:02, Martin Gregorie wrote:
    > On Mon, 09 Jun 2014 11:41:41 -0700, Knute Johnson wrote:
    >
    >> My folks had a friend who was a glider troop. He was training in the
    >> the northeast US somewhere when the war ended. He told me that during
    >> training he never "landed" in a glider. They were always destroyed when
    >> they came to a stop. He wasn't looking forward to actually being in a
    >> combat landing.
    >>
    >> Have you see this video?
    >>
    >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsAKWma3zbY

    > No, that is not yet, but I will see it. It looks interesting and is
    > bookmarked for future reference.
    >
    > BTW, there are persistent stories that a few CG4As were thermalled during
    > training out west, presumably without a full load of troops on board!
    > Thinking of that, you may enjoy this bit of fun. Note the flap settings
    > during high speed passes.
    >
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs666zqMw0s

    When I was towing gliders at El Mirage in the middle 70s, there were
    stories of guys that had soared CG4As. I never met any of them but it
    hadn't been that long after the war then. A couple of years later when
    I was a powered airplane flight instructor, we regularly had students
    that were WWII military pilots that were taking up flying again after 30
    years. Sometimes they were awful and we had to tell some of them to go
    back to golf.

    Great ridge. I've only ridge soared once and that was in Hawaii at
    Dillingham. That was 30 years ago too.

    --

    Knute Johnson

    Knute Johnson, Jun 9, 2014