Java question and pathetic stackoverflow.com experience

alexandre_paterson

Hi all,

Usenet rules! Really :)

I had a terrible experience on stackoverflow.com
and, after Googling, found out it what I encountered
was not unheard of on stackoverflow.com.

I had a Java question, I formulated it something
like this (I'm curious as to what you've done
similar btw):

"We've got an application that sends us back a
stacktrace/machine infos when a crash happens.
This is not a sneaky feature: users are aware of
that behavior. To be sure this feature is working,
I needed a way to generate fake crash, so
everytime you enter "crashme" in a JTextField,
the application crashes and I can check if the
stacktraces arrives correctly (and are correctly
"retraced" -- for they're Proguard stacktrace).
I also have a debug mode that can be toggled
on/off by typing "debugon"/"debugoff" in a
JTextField. I was wondering what kind of
hidden --but no easter eggs-- features were
in production software you worked on?"

So I specifically state that users are aware
of this...

What happens?

Someone with mod points changes my post
(gasp) to: "hiden functionality, I'm sneakily
sending back stacktraces, what hiden features
do you post in you software".

WTF?

Serioulsy, WTFF?

This was not my post at all. Before that I had
only helped people if I recall correctly, even got
a "teacher badge" (that will teach me ;)

I re-edit my post, explaining that the mod had
completely ruined my post and asked where
I could complain.

I enter a complain on meta.stackoverflow.com.

Original post gets locked up. Complain gets
locked. My account gets deactivated :)

Oh yup, meanwhile I got insulted in a post
containing a "shut up" that gets +4 votes and
that fails to adress the facts.

People (not me) have written it was nazi-like
editing happening on stackoverflow.com and
that you had to 'dumb down' your question to
questions mods could understand.

It sure looks like it.

So long live Usenet :)

For example, you may dislike this post, and say
"ffs this is not Java related, stop bitchin'" but
you cannot *delete* my post from Usenet.

Or "why this question in c.l.j.p.?" (of course
because there's both an honest Java question
in this post and the fact that it very talks about
Java and Usenet I think it's on purpose and
so we can start a flamewar or start a lovewar,
whatever.

OK, now it's rant and insults so feel free to
ignore the following ;)

For these people insulted me there, using a
"shut up" while I was polite an asking an
honest question, I'll now insult these low-life-
nazi-editors here.

Hey George Stocker from http://blog.yapb.net
you r*tard, you have reading comprehension
trouble dude. Nowhere did I say my stacktrace
server-reporting was an "hidden feature": I specifically
stated that the users were aware it. Your "edit" was
completely retarded and missing the point. You're
r*tarded to refuse to admit you were completely
wrong to begin with.

Hey Shog9, you started calling names on me fucktard?
You told me to "shut up"?

You gang closed my account to make me "shut up"?

Listen little low-life biatches (you started calling names,
so I won't refrain now), good luck editing *this* post.

Beautiful zeros and ones archived for ever.

Now it's interesting to realize stackoverflow was started
by someone who knew what "editing" meant: someone
on a site I won't mention commented that the guy who
wrote stackoverflow had said/written about as many
smart thing as the number of times sun raylights came
out of the arse of his dog and I always felt like this too
about that person ;) I remember when he made a fool
of himself the day he thought he understood what Unicode
was in a blog entry. Then, realizing his confusion (it was
just so wrong on so many counts) he edited his blog entry,
deleting comments telling him how wrong he was.

So once again, you low-lifes-nazi-editor at stackoverflow...
It's pointless trying to dumb down my questions to the level
your silly mods can understand... You called names on
me, so f*ck you all deeply you underbrained nazis.

And good luck editing this post. It's on Usenet. It's in
the DejaNews archive (Google). These 0's and 1's are
here for eternity, they'll still exist long after we'll all be
dead.

And once in a while people googling for "stack overflows sucks"
will find this pot.

"Stack overflow sucks" / George Stocker (e-mail address removed) is
a retard / Shog9 is an impolite motherfucker.

Freedom of speech in your motherfuckin' impolite ugly faces
you biatches.

Google:

"Joel Spolsky is a crotchety old man" (making a fool of himself
critizing Java)

"FSK's Guide to Reality / Stackoverflow sucks!"

Reddit:

"Why stackoverflow sucks"

Hey now, honest question again @ George and Shog9 and
all the stupid donkeys who modded up the post containing
insults...

How much good do you think you just did to stackoverflow ?

Wanna start talking about *facts* ?

Facts are at the beginning of this post and are archived
forever.

Facts are that nazi-editors with reading comprehension issues
started inventing a fake question that was never asked and
that once I pointed that out I got insulted by Shog9 .

"stackoverflow.com sucks"

and **** your "we're sorry we had a bad experience with
stackoverflow".

Nazi-underbrained-mods.

:)

Lew

[a classic illustration of Godwin's law, perhaps justified]

It sounds like that by locking you out of stackoverflow.com they improved your
life.

I have no idea what "mod points" are. You should explain terms like this to
those of us still stuck in the 20th century.

Why did you bleep the word "retard", but not "retarded" (at least not
consistently) nor "****", "motherfuckin'" or "fucktard"? I'd never even heard
of the word "fucktard" until I encountered it on Usenet a few years ago.
(Like I said, stuck in the 20th.)

How will ranting here at the illiterates on stackoverflow improve the
situation? I didn't mind the rant - I rather enjoyed reading it - I just want
to know what you aim to accomplish.

What do you have against donkeys?

Shouldn't the word "Nazi" be capitalized?

Two years ago I bought a car with a sunroof ...

Tom Anderson

[...]

So, just to clarify, do you like stackoverflow or not?

tom

Arne Vajhøj

[...]

As I read:

http://meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/28005/can-i-prevent-others-from-editing-my-question

then your description of the incident is not complete/accurate.

"Nothing sneaky nor hidden here: users fully know that
stacktrace/crash report are being sent to us..."

was changed to:

"We do let our users know that we collect crash data."

which do send the correct message.

I would not like anyone to change my posts, but then
I do not use SO.

SO openly declare themselves as using wiki principles.
For example, you may dislike this post, and say
"ffs this is not Java related, stop bitchin'" but
you cannot *delete* my post from Usenet.

Or "why this question in c.l.j.p.?" (of course
because there's both an honest Java question
in this post and the fact that it very talks about
Java and Usenet I think it's on purpose and
so we can start a flamewar or start a lovewar,
whatever.

Technically it is probably over the off-topic
line.

Arne