    javascript certificate maker so that users can input there name and
    date so as to use on my site?

    cheers

    javatiger, Aug 7, 2004

  2. javatiger

    Grant Wagner Guest

    Since client-side JavaScript has no ability to write to the local disk,
    even if it could generate certificates, they could not be stored
    anywhere locally. If you want your end users to have certificates to use
    your site, you'll need to generate them and distribute them to your
    users (or pay someone else to generate them).

    Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question?

    Grant Wagner, Aug 9, 2004

  3. javatiger

    Andre Herbst Guest

    What about cookies?

    Andre Herbst, Aug 9, 2004
  4. javatiger

    Grant Wagner Guest

    What about them?

    Are you suggesting that it is possible using client-side JavaScript to
    create and store a PKCS #12 certificate in a cookie, them import that
    certificate into the browser's certificate store so it is available to sites
    that require it?

    As I understand it, you are proposing that the steps at the following URLs
    can be automated using client-side JavaScript and cookies:

    <url: http://www.xs4all.nl/~dorus/linux/https.html#Step5 />
    <url: http://www.xs4all.nl/~dorus/linux/https.html#Step6 />

    Grant Wagner, Aug 9, 2004
  5. javatiger

    Andre Herbst Guest

    With cookies you can write information to the local disk. You could store
    the licenses inside them.

    Andre Herbst, Aug 9, 2004
  6. [snip]
    Cookies can only store certain characters. Depending what the certificate
    contains, it may not be possible to store it without encoding the
    certificate (which will no doubt break it).

    Besides, the whole point of certificates is to instil trust in some
    object. Unless approved by a central, trusted body, the certificate means
    nothing and only a fool would use the signed object.

    Or am I missing something here?

    Mike

    Michael Winter, Aug 9, 2004
  7. javatiger

    javatiger Guest

    I meant an award certificate, you type in your name, date of award etc
    then click go, then theres a page with your award certificate.

    javatiger, Aug 11, 2004
  8. javatiger

    Grant Wagner Guest

    Simple:

    page1.html:

    <form name="myForm" method="get" action="page2.html">
    <input type="text" name="personsName">
    <input type="text" name="theDate">
    <input type="submit" value="Get certificate">
    </form>

    page2.html:

    <script type="text/javascript">
    var searchString = window.location.search.substring(1);
    var Parameters = {};
    var nameValuePairs = searchString.split(/&/);
    var nameValuePair;
    for (var i = 0; i < nameValuePairs.length; i++) {
    nameValuePair = nameValuePairs.split(/=/);
    Parameters[nameValuePair[0]] = nameValuePair[1];
    }
    document.write(
    '<h1>Certificate for ' +
    Parameters['personsName'] +
    '</h1>' +
    '<h2>issued on ' +
    Parameters['theDate'] +
    '<h3>Congratulations on your achievement!</h3>'
    );
    </script>

    Of course, there is no way to stop someone from visiting page1 and issuing certificate after certificate for
    themselves or others, for any date they wish.

    Grant Wagner, Aug 11, 2004