Javascript certificate maker code???

javatiger

Can anyone give me the code or point me in the direction of a simple
javascript certificate maker so that users can input there name and
date so as to use on my site?

cheers

Grant Wagner

javatiger said:
Can anyone give me the code or point me in the direction of a simple
javascript certificate maker so that users can input there name and
date so as to use on my site?

cheers

Since client-side JavaScript has no ability to write to the local disk,
even if it could generate certificates, they could not be stored
anywhere locally. If you want your end users to have certificates to use
your site, you'll need to generate them and distribute them to your
users (or pay someone else to generate them).

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question?

Andre Herbst

Grant said:
Since client-side JavaScript has no ability to write to the local
disk, even if it could generate certificates, they could not be stored
anywhere locally.

What about cookies?

Grant Wagner

Andre said:
What about cookies?

What about them?

Are you suggesting that it is possible using client-side JavaScript to
create and store a PKCS #12 certificate in a cookie, them import that
certificate into the browser's certificate store so it is available to sites
that require it?

As I understand it, you are proposing that the steps at the following URLs
can be automated using client-side JavaScript and cookies:

<url: http://www.xs4all.nl/~dorus/linux/https.html#Step5 />
<url: http://www.xs4all.nl/~dorus/linux/https.html#Step6 />

Michael Winter

[snip]
With cookies you can write information to the local disk. You couldstore
the licenses inside them.

Cookies can only store certain characters. Depending what the certificate
contains, it may not be possible to store it without encoding the
certificate (which will no doubt break it).

Besides, the whole point of certificates is to instil trust in some
object. Unless approved by a central, trusted body, the certificate means
nothing and only a fool would use the signed object.

Or am I missing something here?

Mike

javatiger

Grant Wagner said:
Since client-side JavaScript has no ability to write to the local disk,
even if it could generate certificates, they could not be stored
anywhere locally. If you want your end users to have certificates to use
your site, you'll need to generate them and distribute them to your
users (or pay someone else to generate them).

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question?

I meant an award certificate, you type in your name, date of award etc
then click go, then theres a page with your award certificate.

Grant Wagner

javatiger said:
I meant an award certificate, you type in your name, date of award etc
then click go, then theres a page with your award certificate.

Simple:

page1.html:

<form name="myForm" method="get" action="page2.html">
<input type="text" name="personsName">
<input type="text" name="theDate">
<input type="submit" value="Get certificate">
</form>

page2.html:

<script type="text/javascript">
var searchString = window.location.search.substring(1);
var Parameters = {};
var nameValuePairs = searchString.split(/&/);
var nameValuePair;
for (var i = 0; i < nameValuePairs.length; i++) {
nameValuePair = nameValuePairs.split(/=/);
Parameters[nameValuePair[0]] = nameValuePair[1];
}
document.write(
'<h1>Certificate for ' +
Parameters['personsName'] +
'</h1>' +
'<h2>issued on ' +
Parameters['theDate'] +
'<h3>Congratulations on your achievement!</h3>'
);
</script>

Of course, there is no way to stop someone from visiting page1 and issuing certificate after certificate for
themselves or others, for any date they wish.