Javascript vs Flash based webUI

sqpost

Hi,
I have a web-application project which requires interactive User
Interfaces. It is more like a web based xml content editor. I have seen
a few javascript based text editors but not much flash based ones. I
dont have much experience on neither of the technologies so I have to
spent some time to develop my skills on them (your suggestions are
wellcome:) my questions are:

1. Is JavaScript and the today's internet users's enveronment
(browser-speed-security) mature enough to run a heavy javascript based
web application ?
2. I have the "sceptic feeling" that with Javascript, programmers have
very little control on runtime environment or javascript behaviours,
errors are not so predictable on client site. (Still I see lots of
websites with javascript and a yellow Error sign on my browsers left
bottom corner). Is it still quite complicated task to make the
javascript run properly on most of the users site (say 90%) without
complicated browser/version/DOM tricks and customisation?
3. Is Flash a better option for a interactive UI application? If so why
is it still just an "animation" technology?
4. Is it possible (and easy) to mix the Flash with other technologies
like Ajax or ASP.NET ? Is it possible (and available) to make
flash-based components (like special behaviour combo box, or new kind
of UI components) which can be used in an asp.net web application?

Thanks
Steve

Tony

Hi,
I have a web-application project which requires interactive User
Interfaces. It is more like a web based xml content editor. I have seen
a few javascript based text editors but not much flash based ones. I
dont have much experience on neither of the technologies so I have to
spent some time to develop my skills on them (your suggestions are
wellcome:) my questions are:

1. Is JavaScript and the today's internet users's enveronment
(browser-speed-security) mature enough to run a heavy javascript based
web application ?

IMO, yes it is.
2. I have the "sceptic feeling" that with Javascript, programmers have
very little control on runtime environment or javascript behaviours,
errors are not so predictable on client site. (Still I see lots of
websites with javascript and a yellow Error sign on my browsers left
bottom corner).

Usually due to programming that wasn't written and/or tested for
cross-browser compatibility. Just because IE does it one way doesn't
mean that's the only/best/most used way.
Is it still quite complicated task to make the
javascript run properly on most of the users site (say 90%) without
complicated browser/version/DOM tricks and customisation?

I don't think so. Some would. It's mostly a matter of knowing what
you're trying to do and understanding the differences between browsers.
3. Is Flash a better option for a interactive UI application? If so why
is it still just an "animation" technology?

Dunno - Flash isn't my thing. You might want to try a broader-topic NG
for that question, perhaps alt.www.webmaster
4. Is it possible (and easy) to mix the Flash with other technologies
like Ajax or ASP.NET ?

Possible, I'm sure. Easy? You'd have to ask someone who does both.
Is it possible (and available) to make
flash-based components (like special behaviour combo box, or new kind
of UI components) which can be used in an asp.net web application?

The flash-specific questions are best asked in a macromedia newsgroup,
I think.

Javascript should be able to do what you want, and I think you will
find it a bit more widely used (despite Macromedia's [bogus, IMO] claim
of 99% market penetration). Flash can probably do it, too. But there
are trade-offs either way.

sqpost

Thanks for your reply Tony,
Actualy, I did post to macromedia.flash.actionscript as well but it
seems either noone knows the two technologies enough to give some
answers or noone is interested in :(