javax.servlet, Java SE or EE?

zhangyuewuliu

Hi,

I was wondering whether javax.servlet API belongs to java SE or EE?
When I look through some document, it seems like javax.servlet is part
of EE. However, I can use javax.servlet under Java SE 5.

I also have the same question regarding javax.xml and java.sql.

I guess my biggest questions is that what is the difference between SE
and EE? What I originally understand is that EE includes the packages
for web services, SOA development. But it really confuses me what API/
package is included in SE and EE.

Thanks.

Joe Attardi

I was wondering whether javax.servlet API belongs to java SE or EE?
When I look through some document, it seems like javax.servlet is part
of EE. However, I can use javax.servlet under Java SE 5.
Servlets are under Java EE. You probably have the servlet API JAR in
your classpath or something.

For the definitive answer, check the API Javadoc for SE and EE to see
under which one a particular package falls.
I also have the same question regarding javax.xml and java.sql.
There is some overlap. Java SE has some javax.xml classes, and Java EE
does as well. (I think.. this is all from memory here!)