JDK 1.6.0_13 is out

Maarten Bodewes

John said:
I see a dozen additions and bug fixes. What does poor mean in this
context?
For a whole JDK release, that's pretty minor. It seems it's a simple way
to distribute a certificate store update, not much else. One could
wonder if that is enough to download the thing; all over the world
releasing a new JDK will mean a very large number of GB in downloads
only. And I won't download it because it would cost me too much time.

Maarten

Arne Vajhøj

Maarten said:
For a whole JDK release, that's pretty minor. It seems it's a simple way
to distribute a certificate store update, not much else. One could
wonder if that is enough to download the thing; all over the world
releasing a new JDK will mean a very large number of GB in downloads
only. And I won't download it because it would cost me too much time.

I don't think I have ever seen a JDK fix that was not a complete
release.

Arne

Mark Thornton

Maarten said:
For a whole JDK release, that's pretty minor. It seems it's a simple way
to distribute a certificate store update, not much else. One could
wonder if that is enough to download the thing; all over the world
releasing a new JDK will mean a very large number of GB in downloads
only. And I won't download it because it would cost me too much time.

Maarten

If you use the online installer for the JRE, then the download is much
smaller. Doesn't help with the JDK, but developers just have to suffer ...

As for the small number of fixes, the current policy appears to be that
odd numbered updates just have bug fixes and things like time zone
updates. The even numbered updates are more substantial. So quite a bit
new is scheduled for update 14.

Mark Thornton

Eric Sosman

Maarten said:
For a whole JDK release, that's pretty minor. It seems it's a simple way
to distribute a certificate store update, not much else. One could
wonder if that is enough to download the thing; all over the world
releasing a new JDK will mean a very large number of GB in downloads
only. And I won't download it because it would cost me too much time.

Are you saying that bug fixes should not be distributed
until there's a big pile of them? "Maarten, we've fixed the
bug that breaks your code, but we're not going to release the
fix until we've got three or four dozen other fixes to keep
it company. Try to be patient."

:)