JPA Composite-ID+ForeignKey =>SQLException: Invalid column index

grz01

Hi,

I have a problem running JPA + Hibernate + Oracle, that I am not able
to figure out.

Here is a minimal test-case to demonstrate the error I get:

I have a class, say B, with a composite-id of two columns. One of the
id-columns is also a foreign-key to another class, say C.

In Oracle:

CREATE TABLE C
( C_ID INTEGER,
CONSTRAINT PK_C PRIMARY KEY(C_ID)
);

CREATE TABLE B
( B_PK1 INTEGER,
B_PK2 INTEGER,
CONSTRAINT PK_B PRIMARY KEY (B_PK1, B_PK2),
CONSTRAINT FK_B_C FOREIGN KEY (B_PK1) REFERENCES C (C_ID)
);

In Java, I define the classes B, BPK and C.
I need a ID-class BPK for the primary key of B,
and I also want be able to access the class C directly from the class
B:

BPK.java:

@Embeddable
public class BPK implements Serializable {

@Column(name = "B_PK1")
private Long pk1;

@Column(name = "B_PK2")
private Long pk2;

// ...setters, getters, equals and hashCode() go here...
}

B.java:

@Entity
@Table(name = "B")
@IdClass(value = BPK.class)
public class B {
@Id
@Column(name = "B_PK1")
Long pk1;

@Id
@Column(name = "B_PK2")
Long pk2;

@ManyToOne(fetch = FetchType.EAGER)
@JoinColumn(name = "B_PK1", referencedColumnName = "C_ID")
private C c;

// ...setters, getters, equals and hashCode() go here...
}

C.java:

@Entity
@Table(name = "C")
public class C {
@Id
@Column(name = "C_ID")
private Long cId;
// ...setters, getters, equals and hashCode() go here...
}

Now I preload table C with the value 1:

insert into c values (1);
commit;

Next, run the test-case:

B b = new B();
b.setPk1(1L);
b.setPk2(new Random().nextLong() % 1000000L);
entityManager.persist(b);
entityManager.flush();

This gives me the exception:

Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Invalid column index
at oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.throwSqlException
(DatabaseError.java:112)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.throwSqlException
(DatabaseError.java:146)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.throwSqlException
(DatabaseError.java:208)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.OraclePreparedStatement.setLongInternal
(OraclePreparedStatement.java:4639)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.OraclePreparedStatement.setLong
(OraclePreparedStatement.java:4631)
at org.apache.commons.dbcp.DelegatingPreparedStatement.setLong
(DelegatingPreparedStatement.java:120)
at org.hibernate.type.LongType.set(LongType.java:65)
at org.hibernate.type.NullableType.nullSafeSet(NullableType.java:
154)
at org.hibernate.type.NullableType.nullSafeSet(NullableType.java:
136)
at org.hibernate.type.ComponentType.nullSafeSet(ComponentType.java:
307)
at org.hibernate.persister.entity.AbstractEntityPersister.dehydrate
(AbstractEntityPersister.java:2036)
at org.hibernate.persister.entity.AbstractEntityPersister.insert
(AbstractEntityPersister.java:2271)
... 50 more

In the log I can see that the error is caused by
insert into b (b_pk1, b_pk2) values (?, ?)

I think this Exception means that Hibernate somehow gets confused and
tries to submit more parameter-values to the INSERT statement than
there are ?-place-holders in the SQL-statement, but I cannot figure
out what the reason is.

Anyone can explain exactly what causes this error?

( I am aware that the class B kind of references class C "twice" -
both through the BPK.pk1 foreign-key, and the property B.c, but that
is how I gleaned from other examples, that you are supposed to do in a
case like this? )

/ grz01