JRuby on Java ME

Charles Oliver Nutter

Another one several of you have asked about...JRuby running on Java ME:

http://gist.github.com/71393

This is using Sun's reference implementation "cvm" with the CDC
(Connected Device Configuration) and the PBP (Personal Basis Profile)
set of classes. It's basically the same as what you'd have on a Java
ME-enabled phone or embedded device supporting the same level of APIs.

PBP is available here, for Linux only. I'm not sure whether it's been
open-sourced yet or not, but I thought it was planned:

http://java.sun.com/javame/downloads/index.jsp

The project is hosted here:

http://github.com/headius/jruby-cdc/tree/master

It's essentially JRuby 1.2 forked and stripped of libraries and code
that aren't supported in CDC. My intention with this is to get it
running with a base set of Ruby classes but with Java integration still
functional. That will allow most basic Ruby scripts to work while
providing access to the rest of the Java APIs for bits I had to rip out.

It's only running interpreted right now, just like the Android version
of JRuby, but as in that case I expect most people would want to
precompile Ruby code and ship it all as one unit.

I think there are many other possible ways we could repurpose JRuby like
this; it really only took me a couple days of trimming to get this far.
Android will take far less time, and other "mini ruby" profiles might be
possible for other platforms as well.

Questions, comments, patches welcome :)

- Charlie

Andrew S. Townley

Hi Charlie,

That's great news! I was wondering about this again since I saw the
post about JRuby on Android. I've been trying to figure out the best
way to get Ruby on my Windows mobile phone so I could do some quick
scripting without needing to go through the compile process for either
J2ME or WinMobile/.NET CF, because I don't have those set up at the
moment.

Looks like this may be just the thing I need to test a couple of things.

Cheers,

ast

Justin Collins

Charles said:
[...]