Learning how Ruby compiles etc.

Tony Muler

Hi,

feeling quite at home now with the Ruby way of programming and
with the Ruby language, I would be interested in some more
internals. What happens when I call "ruby myapp.rb", i.e. how
is the compiler/interpreter working?

Further, my experience in C is about nothing. I know the
C language (yes, I even understand pointers and to a certain
extend memory allocation), but have no experience.
Where can I learn more about what I need to know to understand
Ruby's C-API and how to extend Ruby with it?

So what do you recommend reading if I want to dig deeper in
programming?

I know my question is not very specific and you may think
"get a clue and study IT at the university", but that is not
an option at the moment. ;-)

Thank you.
Tony

Jan Svitok

Hi,

feeling quite at home now with the Ruby way of programming and
with the Ruby language, I would be interested in some more
internals. What happens when I call "ruby myapp.rb", i.e. how
is the compiler/interpreter working?

http://eigenclass.org/hiki.rb?ruby+internals+guide - guide to reading
ruby sources
http://rhg.rubyforge.org/ - ruby hacking guide, translation in
progress. If you know japanese look for the original version.
some of the articles at redhanded.hobix.com
Further, my experience in C is about nothing. I know the
C language (yes, I even understand pointers and to a certain
extend memory allocation), but have no experience.
Where can I learn more about what I need to know to understand
Ruby's C-API and how to extend Ruby with it?

Programming Ruby has a chapter on extending, and there is a readme in
the sources somewhere (readme.ext?).
So what do you recommend reading if I want to dig deeper in
programming?

Those sources will be helpful to see how the language is used. If you
don't understand something, look it up in a book or on the web,
eventually ask someone to explain. (I can't recall a good English book
on C now, the one I used is in Czech ;-)

Morton Goldberg

Further, my experience in C is about nothing. I know the
C language (yes, I even understand pointers and to a certain
extend memory allocation), but have no experience.
Where can I learn more about what I need to know to understand
Ruby's C-API and how to extend Ruby with it?

So what do you recommend reading if I want to dig deeper in
programming?

If you're going to dig into the C internals of Ruby, you will
probably want to own a serious reference book on C. I recommend:

Harbison & Steele. "C: A Reference Manual", Fifth Edition, (C:ARM5,
ISBN 0-13-089592X), Prentice Hall February 2002.

It's very well written and has a first class index. I know of no
better English language reference for C. There is a website for it:
<http://careferencemanual.com/> where you can look before you buy.

Regards, Morton