Question about learning Ruby effectively

Chan Nguyen

Hi everyone,
I'm a newbie to Ruby. I've just started learning Ruby for a week, but I
love it ^_^ so much. I wonder is there any website to look up standard
library like C++?
And does Ruby have some standard container like C++ ( vector, list, map,
stack, deque... ). I come from a C++ background, so the way I think in
programming is pretty much from C++. I can see there's a big differences
in the way Ruby does work comparing with C++. So what is a good way to
start thinking in Ruby way? Can anyone share me some experiences? Great
thanks in advance ;) !

Jesús Gabriel y Galán

Hi everyone,
I'm a newbie to Ruby. I've just started learning Ruby for a week, but I
love it ^_^ so much. I wonder is there any website to look up standard
library like C++?

http://ruby-doc.org/core/

contains the core classes.

http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib

contains the standard library.
And does Ruby have some standard container like C++ ( vector, list, map,
stack, deque... ).

The basic containers are arrays and hashes. An array can be used as a
stack or queue, and a hash is a map or dictionary.

Jesus.

Chan Nguyen

Wow, a lot of advices ;) ! Great thanks to everybody. I will check those
links out ^_^ !

Andrew Wagner

Also, Dave Thomas, the author of the pickaxe book, has a screencast on ruby m=
etaprogramming. While metaprogramming itself is an advanced topic, I watched=
this early on, and felt like it gave me a good jump on understanding the ru=
by object model.

Damjan Rems

Chan said:
Hi everyone,
I'm a newbie to Ruby. I've just started learning Ruby for a week, but I
love it ^_^ so much. I wonder is there any website to look up standard
library like C++?
And does Ruby have some standard container like C++ ( vector, list, map,
stack, deque... ). I come from a C++ background, so the way I think in
programming is pretty much from C++. I can see there's a big differences
in the way Ruby does work comparing with C++. So what is a good way to
start thinking in Ruby way? Can anyone share me some experiences? Great
thanks in advance ;) !

Best ruby libraries documentation link + much more is Sidebar for
firefox. http://ruby-doc.org/docbar/

You may also want to read this site
http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/documentation/ruby-from-other-languages/,
which explains how is Ruby different from your language.

by
TheR