Little Q for all you experts...

Hi guys, thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I'm trying to get
my html pages to refresh automatically when re-visited in IE (various
versions). I used this command in the <HEAD> : <meta http-equiv="refresh"/>
but it doesn't seem to work. Am I doing something wrong, or is there any
other way to do this? Incidentally, when I hit F5 to refresh - I always get
sent back to Index.html . What's that about? Thanks again guys.

G.

Jonathan N. Little

G said:
Hi guys, thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I'm trying to get
my html pages to refresh automatically when re-visited in IE (various
versions). I used this command in the <HEAD> : <meta http-equiv="refresh"/>
but it doesn't seem to work. Am I doing something wrong, or is there any
other way to do this? Incidentally, when I hit F5 to refresh - I always get
sent back to Index.html . What's that about? Thanks again guys.

G.
URL?

Jonathan N. Little

mark said:
javascript

top.location="filename.htm"
<snip>

Yes if JavaScript is enabled. But a URL may reveal if OP has a syntax
error or something that could be the real root of his problem. Als could
answer his 2nd question.

NOTE: I would suggest you stop *top posting*, it really peeves some of
the locals...

Dan

G said:
Hi guys, thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I'm trying to get
my html pages to refresh automatically when re-visited in IE (various
versions).

But what happens when it's instead visited in a decent browser, like
Mozilla?
I used this command in the <HEAD> : <meta http-equiv="refresh"/>
but it doesn't seem to work.

I presume your DOCTYPE is XHTML rather than HTML, given the slash
before the closing bracket.

You seem to be mising a "content" attribute in the above meta tag.
This is where you would define what page is being refreshed to and how
long to wait before refreshing. Also, if you're refreshing to the same
page where you currently are, that would cause the refresh tag to be
reloaded too, so you'd have an infinite loop of refreshing.
Am I doing something wrong, or is there any
other way to do this? Incidentally, when I hit F5 to refresh - I always get
sent back to Index.html . What's that about? Thanks again guys.

If the original page is index.html, then that's what you'd be refreshed
to by default. But since you don't give any URL, we have no way of
knowing for sure.

Richard Cornford

G said:
Hi guys, thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
I'm trying to get my html pages to refresh automatically
when re-visited in IE (various versions).

Why only IE?

What you seem to mean is that you want visitors to the site to be served
fresh copies form the server on subsequent visits. This is best done by
serving appropriate HTTP headers with the pages, to encourage specific
caching behaviour and/or realistically stating when you expect the
current version to expire.
I used this command

HTML doesn't do commands.
in the <HEAD> : <meta http-equiv="refresh"/>

If complete (and in a valid HTML form) a meta-refresh element would not
do what you describe (even when allowed to do anything). A (dynamically
generated) meta-expires element would be closer, but still considerably
less reliable than the equivalent HTTP header (and would be superfluous
if that header existed).
but it doesn't seem to work. Am I doing
something wrong, or is there any other way to do this?
Incidentally, when I hit F5 to refresh - I always get
sent back to Index.html . What's that about?

Without code to examine explanations of behaviour are pure speculation.
My wild guess is that you are refreshing a frameset where the SRC of a
frame is Index.html, and pressing F5 refreshes the frameset, re-loading
its original content. The truth may be any one of another 50 plausible
explanations.

Richard.

Mitja

Without code to examine explanations of behaviour are pure speculation.
My wild guess is that you are refreshing a frameset where the SRC of a
frame is Index.html, and pressing F5 refreshes the frameset, re-loading
its original content. The truth may be any one of another 50 plausible
explanations.

That was my first thought too. You may be using a frameset without even
knowing - are you using an URL masking online-service?

Blinky the Shark

G said:
Hi guys, thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I'm trying to get
my html pages to refresh automatically when re-visited in IE (various

I don't use IE. Why do you want me not to see the same new pages?

Thanks for all the replies. Of course I don't want to write only for IE -
I'm only a newbie with almost no knowledge and I don't even know how to
write for maximum useability. I didn't give the URL because I know you guys
will find it littered with errors and possible improvements. I'm still
trying to find the time to learn CSS! I'll try out your suggestions, the URL
if you're interested is www.breezeinn.ca . Thanks again.

Jonathan N. Little

G said:
Thanks for all the replies. Of course I don't want to write only for IE -
I'm only a newbie with almost no knowledge and I don't even know how to
write for maximum useability. I didn't give the URL because I know you guys
will find it littered with errors and possible improvements. I'm still
trying to find the time to learn CSS! I'll try out your suggestions, the URL
if you're interested is www.breezeinn.ca . Thanks again.
<snip previous reply because top posting>
One suggestion, lose the frames. You are only using one in your frameset
anyway, the other has no source. Frames add a host of complications that
you only have to search the news group with the keyword 'frames' to see.

Next, place your reply after the previous replies like I am doing here,
this is bottom posting and preferred by this group.

Jonathan, how do I "bottom post" in Outlook Express 6? I'd much prefer to do
this, but can't see how at the moment. And I just realized that you can't
see my HTML because the page is hosted on free webspace for the time being.
Sorry about the "top posting".

Blinky the Shark

G said:
Jonathan, how do I "bottom post" in Outlook Express 6? I'd much prefer to do
this, but can't see how at the moment. And I just realized that you can't

You have a down-arrow key, right? You have a PageDown key, right? You
have a vertical scroll bar and a mouse, right?

Jonathan N. Little

G wrote:
see my HTML because the page is hosted on free webspace for the time being.
<snip>
Ah no, I CAN see you HTML, I just looked at the source of the one frame
you have.

To remove the frames, delete the default page on server for
'www.breezeinn.ca' the one with the:

<framset ... >
<frame ... >
<frame ... >
</frameset>

and replace with code from:

http://www3.telus.net/public/gebrown/Home.html

the frame source and voila, bye bye frames...

then move other documents, About.html, Spinnaker%20Suite.html, and other
to www.breezeinn.ca and you done the first step...

Michael Winter

On 02/07/2005 04:29, Jonathan N. Little wrote:

[snip]
To remove the frames, delete the default page on server for
'www.breezeinn.ca' [...]

Though I agree that frames should generally be avoided, and there are
certainly no structural or organisational necessities that mean these
frames should be kept, I do believe you're overlooking one rather vital
point.

The frames at <URL:http://www.breezeinn.ca/> are part of those awful
redirection/URL masking schemes whereby a server generates a frameset
for one domain, but inserts the contents of another into the resulting
frames. As browsers only shown the URL for the frameset itself, it looks
as though you are always browsing within the initial domain.

[snip]

So,
then move other documents, About.html, Spinnaker%20Suite.html, and other
to www.breezeinn.ca and you done the first step...

....that won't be possible without a proper hosting solution.

Mike

Leonard Blaisdell

"G" <[email protected]> said:
Jonathan, how do I "bottom post" in Outlook Express 6? I'd much prefer to do
this, but can't see how at the moment. And I just realized that you can't
see my HTML because the page is hosted on free webspace for the time being.
Sorry about the "top posting".

I know nothing about Outlook Express, but can't you move to the bottom
of the page before typing? Can't you delete portions of the page that
you're not directly responding to by highlighting and deleting or
backspacing? Can't you remove peoples signatures by the same method. I
suggest that you experiment. Pretend you're going to post, fool with
deletion and moving the cursor or highlighting and deleting. Click where
you want to insert text, type something clever or inane and discard the
results instead of posting until you are comfortable with what you see
"most" others doing in the group.
I can't believe that OE wouldn't let you respond to a snippet of text in
one sentence if you wished. Otherwise, it's woefully inadequate.

leo

dorayme

From: "G said:
Jonathan, how do I "bottom post" in Outlook Express 6? I'd much prefer to do
this, but can't see how at the moment. And I just realized that you can't
see my HTML because the page is hosted on free webspace for the time being.
Sorry about the "top posting".

Perhaps your OE is very different to mine, but I would bet money on it being
able to bottom post. In mine (OE for a Mac) there is an option for where to
put the insertion point in replying (called preferences, this is sure to be
in options in the PC version). You can select the text of what you want to
reply to and only it will appear in the post.

Actually, I find it easy to simply go to reply to all and just cut the rest
and put the insertion point at the bottom. I leave it at top posting setting
because ordinarily, I like that my more beautiful words and phrases and
remarks appear at the top. But on newsgroups, no one likes this, and I am
gooder than good. You could do worse than to watch all my posts and see how
I behave, how I set things out beautifully, culling to the minimum and not
going on and on and on and on and on and on ...

dorayme

dorayme said:
[...]

When I try to reply in OE, the only choices I see are: 'New Post' - pretty
sure this isn't what I want, 'Reply Group' - can't be right either since
this is what I did to get the "top posting" comments, 'Reply to all' - this
isn't right is it? Or 'Reply or Reply to sender' - which takes me into an
e-mail message. The only time I get actual editable text is when I choose
'Reply Group' and before I post it asks me "Do you want to send this reply
to the entire newsgroup?" What else can I do - this is the only way to post
a reply! That's what I had to do to get this message to post. Although I can
put this reply at the bottom of this text if that's what's meant by bottom
posting...

Leonard Blaisdell

"G" <[email protected]> said:
'Reply Group' - can't be right either since
this is what I did to get the "top posting" comments

That's gotta be the one.
The only time I get actual editable text is when I choose
'Reply Group'

Edit your text and do your replies there.
and before I post it asks me "Do you want to send this reply
to the entire newsgroup?"

The program is just trying to warn you that you'll be replying to
thousands of people all over the world if it's anything like the one I'm
using.
Although I can
put this reply at the bottom of this text if that's what's meant by bottom
posting...

If you post to "everything" that's been said, you leave all that's been
said above what you comment on. Otherwise you do what I just did. Excise
the parts you don't want to comment on and reply to specific portions
that you do have comments on below what you're commenting on.
My apologies if OE won't do this.
But start with 'Reply Group' and ignore the 'entire newsgroup' question,
scary though it may sound.

leo

Blinky the Shark

Leonard said:
That's gotta be the one.
Edit your text and do your replies there.
The program is just trying to warn you that you'll be replying to
thousands of people all over the world if it's anything like the one
I'm using.

OP: You're now posting. On the bottom. Hey! Bottom posting!
If you post to "everything" that's been said, you leave all that's
been said above what you comment on. Otherwise you do what I just did.
Excise the parts you don't want to comment on and reply to specific
portions that you do have comments on below what you're commenting on.
My apologies if OE won't do this.

Of course it will do that, as long as he has direction keys, scroll bars
and a mouse, and a delete key. My money's on "he has those things." :)
But start with 'Reply Group' and ignore the 'entire newsgroup'
question, scary though it may sound.

And yet even with the warning, I see people nearly every day posting
what they think is an email to Aunt Sally to a newsgroup. :)