maintain project

To Forum

Hi everyone,
Until now, I write my code with STL, BOOST... therefore my code should be
run everywhere! The only problem is that I use project file of MS VC7 (so, I
am not really a newbie but for sure I am not a novice) and now I want to
compile the program in Linux... I don't know how can I creat the make file
from the MS project file... and inversely translate the make file to MS
project file... I don't have any experience in maintaining a big project (I
do it "by hand"...)....
With this post I would ask you to share your experiences in maintaining a
project, their compatibility ....
My thanks....
TF

Victor Bazarov

To said:
Until now, I write my code with STL, BOOST... therefore my code should be
run everywhere! The only problem is that I use project file of MS VC7 (so, I
am not really a newbie but for sure I am not a novice) and now I want to
compile the program in Linux... I don't know how can I creat the make file
from the MS project file... and inversely translate the make file to MS
project file... I don't have any experience in maintaining a big project (I
do it "by hand"...)....
With this post I would ask you to share your experiences in maintaining a
project, their compatibility ....

Wrong newsgroup. Ask in comp.os.linux.development.apps or in
microsoft.public.vc.project_mgt

Lionel B

To said:
Hi everyone,
Until now, I write my code with STL, BOOST... therefore
my code should be run everywhere!

Um, *compile* everywhere, if you're really lucky...
The only problem is that I use project file of MS VC7
(so, I am not really a newbie but for sure I am not a
novice) and now I want to compile the program in Linux...
I don't know how can I creat the make file from the MS
project file... and inversely translate the make file to
MS project file... I don't have any experience in
maintaining a big project (I do it "by hand"...)....
With this post I would ask you to share your experiences
in maintaining a project, their compatibility ....
My thanks....
TF

<OT>
VC (at least VC6, with which I am vaguely familiar) uses `NMAKE' which
is not at all compatible with Unix-style `make's - the makefiles are
pretty much incompatible. Worse, the VC compiler and e.g. gcc on
Unix/Linux - not to mention the standard libraries - are very
different. So it is a giant pain to try to maintain code which will
compile under VC and gcc, say - you end up maintaining separate
project/makefiles and your code is riddled with ugly macros stepping
round the differences in the respective compilers/standard libraries.

If you really want to write C++ code that is halfway portable between
Windows and Linux, my recommendation would be to use the same toolset
on both. Probably the best option is to forget about VC and install
either the Cygwin* Unix emulation layer or the MinGW** gcc+GNU tools
port on your Windows system, then use gcc and GNU make, since these
tools can be expected to be at least similar in both environments. You
will still find platform-specific incompatibilities, but it will ease
the pain considerably.

* http://www.cygwin.com/
** http://www.mingw.org/

</OT>