    as the web developers can do (and perhaps recommend to our customers) to
    maximise the 'findability' of the site.

    Thanks for any help.

    Daan, Dec 2, 2004

  2. If you want to call the University of Twente a company :)
    from your headers:
    content, semantically correct markup, a good rate 'content:code', (did I
    mention good content yet?), incomming links from pages that already were
    indexed, patience and then some more good content.

    Try <or Google for SEO or SERP.

    Barbara de Zoete, Dec 2, 2004

  3. Woops: should be <Sorry for the typo

    Barbara de Zoete, Dec 2, 2004
  4. Daan

    C.W. Guest

    META keywords and description can still be helpful - just not given a
    lot of weight in value. Yahoo and MSN [in their beta search douments]
    share they will look at those META tags. Keep those two, if used,
    short, punchy, to the point, and being about the page they apear on.

    Yahoo, if you are using META description, will display part of that in
    the abstract shared - so you don't want to use the same one across all
    pages as it looks boring if you have 3 or 4 pages land close together
    in the results. Google has been known to display the META description
    shared also from time to time - so that info is indexed, just may not
    of a lot value "marketing wise".
    Realize that the search engines each use a different algorithem. MSN
    currently uses Yahoo for its results but they are working on releasing
    their own index/search.

    Yahoo leans to on page thoughts in terms of optimization. Google leans
    to off page touches with some on page thoughts still factored in - PR
    still of value but not like in days of yore [such as a PR3 page can
    beat out a PR5 page in rankings]. MSN currently seems up in the air on
    which way their algo will lean towards.

    Barbara already shared a link to a newsgroup that discusses search
    engines. WebMasterWorld and HighRankings forums may be worth sneaking
    a peek and lurking at also.

    Carol

    C.W., Dec 2, 2004