Master page vs framesets question

Ralph

I'm upgrading and rewriting an old site to asp.net 2.0.
Most definately want to replace frames and framesets with Masterpages.
There was one and really only one feature of frames that I prefered.
It seemed with frames I could much easier limit people to one point of
entry to my site.
That being index.html.

Assuming users didn't have java script disabled I could make sure that
even if a user bookmarked somepage in my site they always went to the
index first then they could go where they wanted.

I'm wondering how I could do this in a similar manner using a master
page.

Guest

I'm upgrading and rewriting an old site to asp.net 2.0.
Most definately want to replace frames and framesets with Masterpages.
There was one and really only one feature of frames that I prefered.
It seemed with frames I could much easier limit people to one point of
entry to my site.
That being index.html.

Assuming users didn't have java script disabled I could make sure that
even if a user bookmarked somepage in my site they always went to the
index first then they could go where they wanted.

I'm wondering how I could do this in a similar manner using a master
page.

Master pages designed to simplify the task of creating a consistent
look for your site and use the same page layout for all/selected
content pages. If you need to use frames you can still use them
combining with master pages (for frame-child content pages).

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=F6ran_Andersson?=

Ralph said:
I'm upgrading and rewriting an old site to asp.net 2.0.
Most definately want to replace frames and framesets with Masterpages.
There was one and really only one feature of frames that I prefered.
It seemed with frames I could much easier limit people to one point of
entry to my site.
That being index.html.

Assuming users didn't have java script disabled I could make sure that
even if a user bookmarked somepage in my site they always went to the
index first then they could go where they wanted.

I'm wondering how I could do this in a similar manner using a master
page.

One of the points of using a frameless design is that you can go back
directly to any page in the site without having to navigate from the
start page.

Why exactly is it that you want to force everyone to start from the same
page?