membership; roles

JP.Gantlin

I want to have a login page where the new user self-registers, giving some
simple info like Real Estate Agent #.

Do I need to used the membershiop/roles thing, or profiles?

Are profiles part of the membership thing, or how are they tied together?
Thanks

Guest

The Membership provider is like an authentication table, you provide
credentials and you get authentication because you are "a member".
Profile is more for storage of ancillary data - your address, phone, email,
site preferences etc. They can work together.
Peter

Siva M

Membership and Profile are used for authentication and user-specific data
storage respectively. As you know ASP.NET 2.0 provides separate API to deal
with these two.

For you case, I guess you have to use both Membership and Profile.

Here is a good example on Membership (and Roles too) and Profile in ASP.NET
2.0: http://aspnet.4guysfromrolla.com/articles/120705-1.aspx

I want to have a login page where the new user self-registers, giving some
simple info like Real Estate Agent #.

Do I need to used the membershiop/roles thing, or profiles?

Are profiles part of the membership thing, or how are they tied together?
Thanks

clintonG

We can use Membership without Roles or Profiles.
We cannot use Roles or Profiles without Membership.
We can use Roles without Profiles.
We can use Profiles without Roles.

Membership and Role data store respective data in separate tables and
separate columns. Profile data is stored in a separate table but stuffs all
the profile data for each member into a single column of delineated data
which is difficult to query and get at and can also become an impact on
performance.

There's some kind of methodology to use Profiles so the profile data is also
stored in separate tables and separate columns which can then be indexed and
queried more efficiently but I do not know the name of the process or how to
use it.

<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
MAP 43°2'17"N 88°2'37"W : 43°2'17"N 88°2'37"W

clintonG

One correction;

// strike "or Profiles"
We cannot use Roles or Profiles without Membership.
// add
We can use Profiles for anonymous users without Membership.

<%= Clinton Gallagher