Menu Does Not Extent to Bottom of Page

Matt White

Hello,

Check out www.help-international.org/beta

I put in an image tag to illustrate my problem. Firefox works properly
for pages where the content does not require a scrollbar, but
otherwise not. IE is even worse.. I'd like my menu to extend to the
bottom of the page. What is the best way to accomplish this? Thanks.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 10 Aug 2007 17:03:43 GMT
Matt White scribed:
Hello,

Check out www.help-international.org/beta

I put in an image tag to illustrate my problem. Firefox works properly
for pages where the content does not require a scrollbar, but
otherwise not. IE is even worse.. I'd like my menu to extend to the
bottom of the page. What is the best way to accomplish this? Thanks.

Basically, you have to style the html and body elements with 100% height.
This, of course, may alter the requirements of the other markup.

dorayme

Matt White said:
Hello,

Check out www.help-international.org/beta

I put in an image tag to illustrate my problem. Firefox works properly
for pages where the content does not require a scrollbar, but
otherwise not. IE is even worse.. I'd like my menu to extend to the
bottom of the page. What is the best way to accomplish this? Thanks.

You can fiddle about to solve this problem (there are border
solutions, faux background solutions and a few other ways if the
very best and most direct of all ways is unpalatable to you,
namely a table with 2 columns) but it is often more trouble than
it is worth.

If you want the menu colour to extend to the bottom, put that
colour into body. If you want the content to be white
backgrounded, say so in content css. The scheme is simple and has
a logic, all the content is plain to see as an entity, white
backgrounded, every thing else is menu or footers. As for borders
in this scheme, you can put a border all around the content. A
smidgeon of right margin on the content also often looks nicer.

Matt White

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 10 Aug 2007 17:39:46
GMT Matt White scribed:

Well, a change did occur, but regardless.

Now put overflow:auto; on #content. You should see a result and probably
be able to figure the rest out yourself.

This seems to have improved things except one new problem: there are
two scrollbars now. One is for the whole page and one is for the right
div only. How can I get rid of one or the other?

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 13 Aug 2007 15:42:30
GMT Matt White scribed:
This seems to have improved things except one new problem: there are
two scrollbars now. One is for the whole page and one is for the right
div only. How can I get rid of one or the other?

You have to apply "overflow:hidden;" to html and perhaps body. It's been a
while since I did such things and don't have any of my old samples left.
It will work pretty good if you get the settings right, but ie6 can still
have some problems.

Matt White

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 13 Aug 2007 15:42:30
GMT Matt White scribed:

You have to apply "overflow:hidden;" to html and perhaps body. It's been a
while since I did such things and don't have any of my old samples left.
It will work pretty good if you get the settings right, but ie6 can still
have some problems.

Thanks Neredbojias. The solution I'm now using that works in IE and
Firefox (haven't tested on older versions, however) is to set
overflow: hidden on the html element and overflow: scroll on the
content div. Looks beautiful... brings tears to my eyes.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 13 Aug 2007 16:44:18
GMT Matt White scribed:
Thanks Neredbojias. The solution I'm now using that works in IE and
Firefox (haven't tested on older versions, however) is to set
overflow: hidden on the html element and overflow: scroll on the
content div. Looks beautiful... brings tears to my eyes.

Glad you got it worked out. I remember spending "hours 'n h-owers" on
that stuff, 'specially trying to get ie6 to cooperate. Now - eh, who
cares... <g>