Migrating Completly to Ajax..Suggestion Needed!

Von Shean

I have a website that i have migrated VS 2003 to VS 2005. I have done
some work like adding master pages and making rest of the pages as
content pages.

However, now i want the site to be completly Ajaxed.

I have a asp.net 2.0's menu control in my master page. I need the
ContentPlaceHolder should only get refreshed when i select any
menuItem. Is there an easy way to do this.

Here is how my page is setup.
1. The form is in the Master Page.
2. Master page has the 3 control a) Header b) footer c) Menu

Thanks for the suggestions,
Von

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Easy way? It depends on how you have abstracted your data transport. If you
have everything embedded in the ASP.NET code, you are going to have a lot of
retooling. If your data access is in other classes and you are merely
binding, you will find the Ajax switch much easier, as you are pretty much
just changing the way you are calling. If you are also using serializable
data bits, like DataSets, it is much easier than the XXXDataSource controls
(be that SQL, Object, et al).

I would carefully consider what you are doing. I do not find Ajax to be the
best transport layer. It is great for many things, but moving all data
access to Ajax is potentially problematic. And, if you are merely moving
most of the items, I would figure out a definite line for "normal data
acccess" and Ajax prior to moving code around or you will end up with a hard
to maintain site.

Good luck!