Modelsim resulution info

JSreeniv

Hi all,

My query is about Modelsim simulation,..
If we run any simulation under the defined resultions time it takes
some time to finish the simulation.
What i want is is there any equation to calculate the time period or
days, if i increase the simulation time to 1 sec or more?

Please give exposure on this knowledge!

Sreeni
Moog,Inc

backhus

Hi all,

My query is about Modelsim simulation,..
If we run any simulation under the defined resultions time it takes
some time to finish the simulation.
What i want is is there any equation to calculate the time period or
days, if i increase the simulation time to 1 sec or more?

Please give exposure on this knowledge!

Sreeni
Moog,Inc

Hi Sreeni,
if your simulated circuit performs repetitive tasks (e.g. video
applications) you can multiply the time used for one picture by N to
estimate the simulation time for N pictures.
As always there's some limitation. If your circuit activates
additional modules based on special conditions, your calculation will
fail. Extra logic to simulate = extra transitions to calculate =
increasing simulation time.

From my experience: I calculated the time for some picture frames to
be a few days, but based on the simulation time before synchronisation
lock. After synchronisation the DDR-module was activated. This slowed
down simulation speed drastically. A recalculation based on the new
simulation speed resulted in a new overall simulation times of half a
month.

So that's the variation of results you can have if it goes bad. But if
you have enough knowledge about your design you can minimize such
errors.

Have a nice simulation.
Eilert

Mike Treseler

JSreeniv said:
If we run any simulation under the defined resultions time it takes
some time to finish the simulation.
What i want is is there any equation to calculate the time period or
days, if i increase the simulation time to 1 sec or more?

Maybe you mean a resolution time of less than 1 nS?
That can increase the simulation time.
So can the use of asynchronous processes.
Please give exposure on this knowledge!

Try a simple example and see for yourself.

-- Mike Treseler