Modem beeping

Herman Geldenhuys

I am dialing a modem(COM3) from python on windoze and I connect successfully to a remote phone, but there is an annoying beeping sound that keeps on ringing in the background. Would anybody happen to know what command and in what sequence I should send to the modem to make it stop?

Thanks

Dennis Lee Bieber

I am dialing a modem(COM3) from python on windoze and I connect successfully to a remote phone, but there is an annoying beeping sound that keeps on ringing in the background. Would anybody happen to know what command and in what sequence I should send to the modem to make it stop?
Didn't know anyone made modems controlled by Python...

Sounds like your "remote phone" has a fax machine on the line --
fax's do a "soft answer" using beeps to identify (while allowing them to
detect if someone picks up on voice); when the other side hears the
beeps it is supposed to respond with a fax stream, rather than just data
mode.