More than one login page/web.config files

Guest

Hi

I'm building an asp.net application with forms authentication. I need to
have 2 login pages and I guess therefore also 2 web.config files (one in the
main application folder and another in a new subfolder to handle their
associated web forms in each folderlevel). But I get this errormessage:

configuration file required to service this request. Please review the
specific error details below and modify your configuration file
appropriately.

allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This
error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an
application in IIS.

How do I fix this problem? I'm using the IIS in Windows XP as my "developing
IIS", the finish application will run on a IIS 6 server.

Thanks
"Namespace"

jasonkester

It sounds like the built in forms authentication model doesn't exactly
fit your application. Looks like you'll have to roll some if it
yourself. It's pretty simple.

I personally never use FormsAuthentication straight out of the box. I
tend to derive a handful of Page objects that I use as the base for my
webforms. These know how to pull user context from the
FormsAuthentication model, check security, and redirect to a login page
by themself.

There are plenty of reasons to roll your own Page objects, and custom
security is just a small example. In this case, it would add maybe 10
lines of code to the YourSecurePage object.

Good luck!

Jason Kester
Expat Software Consulting Services
http://www.expatsoftware.com/