Most popular VHDL/Verilog

Philippe

Hi everybody.

Could you please help me find out which is the most popular VHDL/
Verilog editor, by filling out this poll: http://www.vhdleditor.com/poll
I'm not looking for the "best VHDL/Verilog editor" (that would only
get a flame war started). I'm just trying to find out which is used
more often. So, please go and vote!

thanks

Philippe

Philippe

Thanks to all who have participated. The results are now online at:
http://www.vhdleditor.com
It may not be surprising, but this poll says Emacs is the most popular
VHDL/Verilog editor. Second and third are Notepad++ and VI.

Philippe

Stéphane Goujet

Le Wed, 23 Feb 2011 07:09:56 -0800 (PST),
Philippe said:
Thanks to all who have participated. The results are now online at:
http://www.vhdleditor.com
It may not be surprising, but this poll says Emacs is the most popular
VHDL/Verilog editor. Second and third are Notepad++ and VI.

Is there any editor that gathers a significant percentage of answers
in the "others" ?

Goodbye,
Stéphane G.

Joined
Nov 9, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Really ?? Emacs is just like doing many things but is not simple at all. In my opinion t's just stuff for jerks. I really much prefer ultraedit which is way more powerful and yet much much simpler. You can do so many things but you still have a beginner friendly toolbar, and everything is focused on easy edition, which is not the case of emacs.

Ultraedit is especially good for being able to highlight almost any language with a system of language files (a few hundred are downloadable). It also has auto indent, folding, scripts, advanced search engines using variables, macros, comments hiding, conversion of characters, or spaces to tab, file formats, project management...

I mean you may find a few of these in emacs but you will have to type an obscure Linux-like command to be able to get it. This is also the problem for VI. My colleage just used VI but he just had to recognize that he had no reason for using a complicated tool such as VI or emacs while he could use something much more user friendly like UltraEdit and that does the same and much more (ok it is not a file manager nor a mail client like emacs is, and you cannot play tetris with it, but who cares ??)