Need directions with 3-cols fixed width/height layout with expandable images on both sides of text

HP

Hi there

It's a rather uncommon setup, hence my question to the experts over
here:

The client wants a fixed height layout with text in the center and
optional images on both sides. Images should be scaled to height so
their width can vary de/increasing widht of center colum with text.
Total width should be fixed, but if liquid would be easier, then it's
all right.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions or links.

cheers
HP

Ben C

Hi there

It's a rather uncommon setup, hence my question to the experts over
here:

The client wants a fixed height layout with text in the center and
optional images on both sides. Images should be scaled to height so
their width can vary de/increasing widht of center colum with text.

How much text in the centre? Enough that it starts wrapping, or just a
couple of words?

If it starts wrapping, then how do you want the width that it wraps to
defined?
Total width should be fixed, but if liquid would be easier, then it's
all right.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions or links.

Are the images the sort that would work tiled rather than scaled? And do
you mean the images should always occupy the full height, but only
enough width to fit either side of the text in the middle?

HP

The client wants a fixed height layout with text in the center and
How much text in the centre? Enough that it starts wrapping, or just a
couple of words?

If it starts wrapping, then how do you want the width that it wraps to
defined?

The text would me main site content, so there would be wrapping. The
wrapping width would be the possible: total width of layout (fixed)
minus the width of side images
Are the images the sort that would work tiled rather than scaled? And do
you mean the images should always occupy the full height, but only
enough width to fit either side of the text in the middle?

Not tiled, thay would be typical we-are-dynamic-modern-and-good-
looking-company kind of pictures (aeroplane on the left, woman wearing
glasses on the right etc). Their height has to be fixed since the
whole rectangular box with image+text+image should have constant size
on all pages.

thank you very much
hp

Ben C

The text would me main site content, so there would be wrapping. The
wrapping width would be the possible: total width of layout (fixed)
minus the width of side images

Not tiled, thay would be typical we-are-dynamic-modern-and-good-
looking-company kind of pictures (aeroplane on the left, woman wearing
glasses on the right etc).

LOL, I know the kind of thing. Since you mentioned <br> before, I'm
guessing you've got two or three images either side that need to be
spaced out to fit into the given height. You presumably don't want to
stretch the images or they'll look quite distorted.

The easiest way to do that is going to be with tables. If you've got
three images and a given amount of height to space them out into, a
table with that height set on it and each image in its own row will
space them out evenly.

Otherwise it's fiddly. If you know the height of each image, you can
make them display: block and set bottom or top margins on them, but
you'd need to work out the heights those margins would need to be
yourself based on the heights of the images.