Need help with Win32::GuiTest and Indigo perl

gw1500se

I need some help with a problem running Win32::GuiTest and Indigo
perl. I installed the package using IPM and there were no errors.
However, the statement "use Win32::GuiTest;" get the following error:

Can't load 'C:/OpenSA/perl/site/lib/auto/Win32/GuiTest/GuiTest.dll'
for module Win32::GuiTest: load_file:One of the library files needed
to run this application cannot be found at
C:/OpenSA/perl/lib/DynaLoader.pm line 229.

The path and file are correct and do exist. Can someone help me figure
out why it will not load the library. TIA.

Sisyphus

gw1500se said:
I need some help with a problem running Win32::GuiTest and Indigo
perl. I installed the package using IPM and there were no errors.
However, the statement "use Win32::GuiTest;" get the following error:

Can't load 'C:/OpenSA/perl/site/lib/auto/Win32/GuiTest/GuiTest.dll'
for module Win32::GuiTest: load_file:One of the library files needed
to run this application cannot be found at
C:/OpenSA/perl/lib/DynaLoader.pm line 229.

The path and file are correct and do exist. Can someone help me figure
out why it will not load the library. TIA.

The dll is being found ok but there's apparently some problem with that dll
that prevents it from loading.

You could also get the same error if GUITest.dll tried to load some other
"problem" dll. But I don't think GUITest.dll looks for any other dll.

Could it be that you've installed a 5.6 version of Win32::GUITest on perl
5.8 (or vice-versa) ?
I'm not sure that would produce the error you get .... but it's all I can
think of :)

Cheers,
Rob

gw1500se

A dll built for perl 5.6 will not work on perl 5.8 and vice-versa.

I had a quick look at the website and couldn't find anything. I expect you
would have some documentation (somewhere in the download) about this.
ActiveState has separate repositories for perl 5.6 and perl 5.8 pre-compiled
packages. I imagine IndigoStar does the same. The webpage I went to
mentioned 'repositories' (plural). Perhaps your IPM is configured to access
the wrong repository.
'ipm help' should at least show you how to find out which repository has
been set ..... and hopefully you can find some documentation that will tell
you which repository *ought* to be set.

Thanks again for the reply. The repository is set for 5.8.
I can't think of any quick sure-fire method of determining whether you have,
in fact, installed a 5.6 package ...... but it's starting to sound more and
more likely :)

I have to agree but then it also could be wishful thinking. If it is
not then there is little hope of getting it to work and I don't what
to hit a deadend.
We don't get many Indigo perl questions here. Does the website have a
mailing list for Indigo-specific matters ?

Not that I can find but I have asked the Indigo support folks if they
know of a forum. I don't kniow how responsive they are. I also wrote
to the author of GuiTest but got no reply.

Sisyphus

gw1500se said:
I have to agree but then it also could be wishful thinking. If it is
not then there is little hope of getting it to work and I don't what
to hit a deadend.

As a workaround solution go to:
http://ppm.activestate.com/PPMPackages/zips/8xx-builds-only/Windows/

and download Win32-GuiTest.zip.

Inside there's a 'Win32-GuiTest.tar.gz' that contains the files you want.
Just replace your existing '.pm' and '.dll' files with the ones it contains.
If you do this by extracting them, make sure you *don't* preserve the packed
directory structure or they'll end up in the wrong place. Might be best to
simply extract to a temp location then manually copy them across.

That will give you version 1.14. Hope that's satisfactory. Copy the other
files across, too, if you like .... though it shouldn't be necessary.

This should work at least as well as your current installation
:)

Also see if you can install *any* modules that contain a dll and have them
work properly. It might help get to the source of your trouble.

Cheers,
Rob

gw1500se

As a workaround solution go to:
http://ppm.activestate.com/PPMPackages/zips/8xx-builds-only/Windows/

and download Win32-GuiTest.zip.

Inside there's a 'Win32-GuiTest.tar.gz' that contains the files you want.
Just replace your existing '.pm' and '.dll' files with the ones it contains.
If you do this by extracting them, make sure you *don't* preserve the packed
directory structure or they'll end up in the wrong place. Might be best to
simply extract to a temp location then manually copy them across.

Thanks. I tried it and it looks like we make it to the next layer of
the onion.
That will give you version 1.14. Hope that's satisfactory. Copy the other
files across, too, if you like .... though it shouldn't be necessary.

I only copied the pm and dll files.
This should work at least as well as your current installation
:)

Or at least it fails different. I no longer get the error on the "use"
statement. Now I get an error on the "FindWindowLike" statement. Here
is what I tried as a test:

@windows=FindWindowLike(0;"*","*");

This results in the error:

Quantifier follows nothing in regex; marked by <-- HERE in m/* <--
HERE / at C:/OpenSA/perl/site/lib/Win32/GuiTest.pm line 570.

I also tried other expressions in the call but got the same error.
Also see if you can install *any* modules that contain a dll and have them
work properly. It might help get to the source of your trouble.

Actually the first module I installed was MySQL_auth quite some time
ago. It works fine.

gw1500se

Could that simply be a case of incorrect coding ?
Perhaps:
@windows=FindWindowLike(0,"^*","^*");

Thanks, that was it. What exactly is the reason for the '^'? In a UNIX
regular expression that is not necessary.