Need to stop editing another row in a Gridview, ReorderList etc when another row is already being ed

Andrew Jocelyn

Hi

I actually want to do this with an AJAX Toolkit ReorderList but I think it
would work the same with a GridView or other databound list control. Is
there a tried and tested way of stoping a user when they attempt to edit a
row when another row is already being edited?

I thought I could use a CustomValidator added to each row but without it's
ControlToValidate property set and do something in the ServerValidate event.
I want to do the validation server side for my application (JavaScript would
be nice too but not essential). I haven't found a very neat way of doing
this yet so any ideas, examples would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Andrew

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi Andrew,
I actually want to do this with an AJAX Toolkit ReorderList but I think it
would work the same with a GridView or other databound list control. Is
there a tried and tested way of stoping a user when they attempt to edit a
row when another row is already being edited?

To do this one option is to add a hidden input field in the HTML. If the
control is in edit mode, set its value to a specific value. When user click
the "Edit" button, check the value of this hidden field. If it shows the
control is in edit mode, stop postback.

The following code shows how to do that. I use GridView here.

aspx:

<script type="text/javascript">
function Check() {
if (document.getElementById("input1").value == "1") {
return false;}
}
</script>

<input id="input1" runat="server"/>
AutoGenerateColumns="True"
DataKeyNames="CustomerID" DataSourceID="SqlDataSource1"
EmptyDataText="There are no data records to display."
onprerender="GridView1_PreRender">
<Columns>
<asp:TemplateField>
<ItemTemplate>
<asp:LinkButton OnClientClick="return Check()"
ID="LinkButton1" runat="server" CommandName="Edit">Edit</asp:LinkButton>
</ItemTemplate>
<EditItemTemplate>
<asp:LinkButton ID="LinkButton3" runat="server"
CommandName="Update">Update</asp:LinkButton>
<asp:LinkButton ID="LinkButton2" runat="server"
CommandName="Cancel">Cancel</asp:LinkButton>
</EditItemTemplate>
</asp:TemplateField>
</Columns>
</asp:GridView>

aspx.cs:
protected void GridView1_PreRender(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
if (GridView1.EditIndex != -1)
{
this.input1.Value = "1";
}
else
{
this.input1.Value = "0";

Please test it to see if it works. If you have additional questions please
feel free to ask.

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support

(e-mail address removed).

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi Andrew,

Have you tried my code? Is it what you need?

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support,