Nested Master pages question

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by D, Sep 5, 2006.

  1. D

    D Guest

    Hi,

    I've been toying around with master pages and am trying to set up your
    standard banner across the top and 3 areas below that, left content, center
    content and right content.

    I have the banner part being the top level master page and the left content
    be nested master page named subMaster.master. In this I have 3 div's that
    I've named

    SubMaster_LeftPanel
    SubMaster_CenterPanel ***** contains ContentPlaceHolder
    SubMaster_RightPanel

    These are just div's now and don't contain actual panels btw.

    I wish to have the LeftPanel contain a treeview for navigation and the right
    panel be used for misc alerts or banner advertising. The CenterPanel I host
    the ContentPlace holder control for content.

    The problem I'm having is it works out well but SubMaster_RightPanel is
    always wrapped around to the next line.

    Instead of

    Top Banner Top Banner Top Banner
    -------------------------------------
    Left | Center | Right

    I have

    Top Banner Top Banner Top Banner
    -------------------------------------
    Left | Center
    Right

    (if that makes sense).

    All widths are thru a CSS using, 10%, 80% and 10% respectively. I can change
    them to be alot less and this problem still persists so this doesn't appear
    to be overlapping.

    Any ideas and or solutions?

    Thanks alot for your time.

    D, Sep 5, 2006

  2. D

    Tim_Mac Guest

    hi,
    i'd suggest posting a HTML equivalent of what you are trying to achieve. it
    seems to be a HTML / CSS / Layout problem rather than master pages.
    are the divs floated left, or absolutely positioned? in my opinion you'd
    need either of these to get a 3 column layout.

    the reason they don't wrap is because DIVs are block elements, which by
    default take up a whole line.

    try this page: http://www.positioniseverything.net/thr.col.stretch.html

    does this help?
    tim

    Tim_Mac, Sep 6, 2006

  3. D

    D Guest

    Yes that helps quite a bit thank you. I was looking at it last night and
    looking at the html the page generated when it was created and saw that it
    wasnt a matter of the placeholders but something with the div's. I haven't
    fixed it yet but I now know I need to read up a little more about how divs
    work and positioning.

    thanks alot.

    D, Sep 6, 2006
  4. D

    Tim_Mac Guest

    hi D,
    unfortunately tables are still the most sure-fire absolutely-cross-browser
    method of getting a 3 column layout.
    many web sites may not need to be concerned with the likes of Netscape 4.6
    etc but i just thought you'd like to be aware of the lack of proper CSS
    support in older browsers. IE 5 and 6 also has many CSS layout bugs that
    make life difficult, CSS coders often use hacks in their stylesheets to work
    around these problems.

    whatever CSS/Div approach you use, some older browsers will screw it up and
    just spit out the divs vertically, or on top of each other.

    good luck
    tim

    Tim_Mac, Sep 6, 2006
  5. D

    D Guest

    I'm going to play around with it for a little more then maybe go back to
    tables if it doesn't work for me.

    Thanks for the advice

    D, Sep 6, 2006