new locale in 1.8

Roedy Green

There is a new locale SS for South Sudan in JDK 1.8.
"A great lathe operator commands several times the wage of an average lathe
operator, but a great writer of software code is worth 10,000 times the
price of an average software writer."
~ Bill Gates

Arne Vajhøj

There is a new locale SS for South Sudan in JDK 1.8.

There are many changes in 1.8.

With all due respect for the new country of South Sudan, then I don't
think this new locale is among the most useful for the majority of Java
programmers.

Arne

Eric Sosman

There are many changes in 1.8.

With all due respect for the new country of South Sudan, then I don't
think this new locale is among the most useful for the majority of Java
programmers.

As long as we're discussing possible simplifications for
Java, I suggest we eliminate those silly decorations on letters.
They're ønly øf interest tø a small minørity øf prøgrammers,
tøø few tø wørry abøut.

Arne Vajhøj

As long as we're discussing possible simplifications for
Java, I suggest we eliminate those silly decorations on letters.
They're ønly øf interest tø a small minørity øf prøgrammers,
tøø few tø wørry abøut.

Nobody will miss 646, but I think more than a small minority
would miss 8859 and 10646.

Arne

Roedy Green

silly decorations on letters.

What are you referring to? Some unicode glyphs?
"A great lathe operator commands several times the wage of an average lathe
operator, but a great writer of software code is worth 10,000 times the
price of an average software writer."
~ Bill Gates

Roedy Green

There is a new locale SS for South Sudan in JDK 1.8.

It came up because I have a table indexed by locale of currency to
use. I needed to add a new entry.
"A great lathe operator commands several times the wage of an average lathe
operator, but a great writer of software code is worth 10,000 times the
price of an average software writer."
~ Bill Gates

Arne Vajhøj

As long as we're discussing possible simplifications for
Java,

BTW, my point was not about what Java should support - I think Java
should support all countries - but about what was worth posting to
cljp. I have this feeling that very few here will be using
South Sudanese locale.

Arne