    Ha...Ha....Ha..... great way, great thinking.... :)
    thanks for telling that.
    what does that mean?

    arnuld, Oct 28, 2006

  2. SG

    arnuld Guest

    Joe is intelligent ....Goody..good :)

    i, really, never understood what exactly that means?

    may you explain?

    arnuld, Oct 28, 2006

  3. SG

    Flash Gordon Guest

    Also he is no relation to the Dave Thompson I knew.
    It's the old politicians fallacy as given in Yes Minister (it may
    pre-date that for all I know). See http://www.yes-minister.com/ for more
    on Yes Minister.

    Flash Gordon, Oct 28, 2006
  4. arnuld said:
    It's a quotation from "Yes Minister" (certainly the book and quite possibly
    the TV series as well), the purpose of which is to expose the kind of
    flawed logic which many people employ, often without realising it.

    In the original, the target was politicians; Keith is probably aiming at
    programmers instead, and that's fair enough, but it is nevertheless a great
    shame that he doesn't ascribe the quotation properly (to Antony Jay and
    Jonathan Lynn).

    Richard Heathfield, Oct 28, 2006
  5. SG

    CBFalconer Guest

    PBS (US) used to show that regularly, later yes-prime-minister.
    One of the funniest series I have seen. Unfortunately they stopped
    it.

    CBFalconer, Oct 28, 2006
  6. SG

    Malcolm Guest

    C is a successful language, primarily because pointers abstract the basic
    machine operations very powerfully and efficiently.
    C++ is an attempt to improve it. As with most suggested improvements, you
    get some people who are very enthusiastic, and some people who hate the
    idea.
    C++ allows object-oriented programming, which is very unwieldy in C, however
    it brings its own problems. The object-orientation itself is controversial.
    It is not the panacea that some proponents would have you believe.
    Yes it will. C is very close to the machine. With a solid foundation in C,
    you should be able to pick up virtually any language relatively quickly.
    This is particularly true of C++, because it is a near superset of C.
    In the same way, it is useful to learn how to do multiplications and long
    divisions by hand. In professional life I hardly ever do these operations by
    hand, of course, because the calculator is just a click away. However having
    this knowledge means that I know what the calcuator is doing, so I can use
    it effectively.

    Malcolm, Oct 28, 2006
  7. SG

    arnuld Guest

    really, i do not have any answer to this question but i can not resist
    some thoughts. i have some feelings for C i am not able to understand.
    earlier this month i started my BLOG & i worte an article "On The
    Perils of Java Schools" as my viewpoint on Joel Spolsky's article "The
    Perils of Java Schools". these are some of the lines from my blog:

    ".....what i do think is, having the skills of a *musician* is a
    sufficient and not the necessary condition. i feel, becausee of my
    experience, that the part of brain that *creates* great-music also
    creates great-softwares. If you have an *analytical-ear* for music then
    you have it, then you can become an extremely brilliant programmer, the
    ones who are rare & i....."

    now i will explain the situation:

    --- i like "hard-rcok", Metallica, Iron-Maiden, Black Sabbath,
    Marilyn Manson, Pink Floyd are among my faourites. "Rock" is quite
    deep, has more meaning than pop, IMHO. everytime i listen to my
    faourite songs, i feel i am holding "K&R2" in my hands or i feel i am
    "UNIX or C", NO i never saw how K&R2 looks like, i ordered this book 5
    hours ago. i feel i am "history of UNIX, i am PDP-11". now i listen to
    many other songs but that happens only with Rock music & at the same
    time i get the "technical-ability" to dissect the songs, i feel like as
    if my brain is taking vocals, guitars & drums apart as 3 different
    things & then making a genius-piece of each of these parts then it
    assembles them together to create the original master-piece & sometimes
    i also create my own. at that time, i dwell deep untill there is C,
    UNIX, rock & me, they & me become the one. ---

    Can anybody explain why i feel so? i ask because folks here carry
    much-wider experience of C, UNIX & LIFE in general. may be i am able to
    understand something about myself through comp.lang.c

    (that never happened with C++, Ruby or Python. Lisp is also a different
    story but it is nearly like the one i told you except that i started to
    feel that way after 6 months from when i 1st learnt it. 6 months ago it
    was just like other langugaes.)

    thanks for your precious time.

    --arnuld
    http://arnuld.blogspot.com

    arnuld, Oct 28, 2006
  8. <OT>
    No, I'm not aiming it at programmers. More detail than that would be
    seriously off-topic, but I'm satisfied with the ambiguity; it's
    applicable to nearly anything. It's almost a universal fallacy.

    When I started using it as my sig quote, I didn't know where it came
    from, and I don't know where I got it. I'm not sure that I've ever
    seen an episode of "Yes Minister", and I've never read the book.

    The earliest Usenet reference to the line is from 1992, and it
    explicitly refers to "Yes Minister". (Adding "-supercomputer" to the
    search terms helped a great deal.)

    I'll certainly consider adding an attribution.

    IMDB shows Antony Jay and Jonathan Lynn as the creators of the series,
    and the writers of at least some episodes. Are you sure they wrote
    that specific line? Perhaps I'll just attribute it to the series.
    </OT>

    Keith Thompson, Oct 28, 2006
  9. Keith Thompson said:

    Yes, they wrote all the episodes, and all the books (which are all taken
    from the TV series, but re-cast in the form of diaries).

    Richard Heathfield, Oct 28, 2006
  10. We must do something. This is something. Therefore, we must do this.
    Recent US administrations (of both parties) probably consider this
    to be a state secret. It's how they come up with ideas like
    protecting a 2100-mile border with a 700-mile fence, and the CAN-SPAM
    act which does nothing much about SPAM. Next they're probably going
    to require registration of hotel bar keys and paper clips because
    they can be used to breach the security of a Diebold electronic
    voting machine.
    It's difficult to keep getting funding from a government when you're
    leaking its best secrets, even if you don't realize it and the
    government won't admit it.

    Gordon Burditt, Oct 30, 2006