New to Ruby and Programming

Will Shattuck

Hi folks. Happy New Year!

I have lurked for a little bit to see what this list is like. I am
please to see how helpful people are. I have a couple of questions
for someone starting out with Ruby and Programming in general.

Some background... I have some fundamental understanding of
programming, but I have more holes in my foundation than not. I work
with some friends on a C# project, I learned some basics of Java so I
kind of understand OOP. But I still do not grasp a lot.

My question: Where should I start in learning to use Ruby? I have
some ideas, but I do not want to prejudice the discussion with my
ideas.

Also, I have a project in mind to use Ruby... A Nethack bot. A friend
programmed one in C# and I thought it would be fun to try and use
Ruby. I know I have a long way to go but it would be fun for me.

Anyway, thanks for any advice and help you can offer in this new adventure.

Will

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Chris Pine's "Learn to Program" is available now from Pragmatic
Programmers. I'd start there.

J. Ryan Sobol

Can you list and describe the programs you've developed in the past?
Were they school related or side projects for fun or for profit?

~ ryan ~

Will Shattuck

Can you list and describe the programs you've developed in the past?
Were they school related or side projects for fun or for profit?

~ ryan ~

Well... that's just it. I haven't developed anything really. I have
done some web programming with PHP, but that has usually consisted of
modifying someone else's work. So basically nothing :( That's why I
wanted to start with Ruby. I noticed that I can cut out many lines of
code by using Ruby so I figured it would be a good start.

Will

J. Ryan Sobol

Sounds like your at the cusp of a new and exciting thing, so I want
to give you the best advice I can.

Here's the table of contents from the book "Learning To Program" that
Ed Borasky suggested in a previous post. (http://
www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/fr_ltp/) Just by glancing at the
chapter titles, which of them seem new, familiar, and old news to you
in terms of your past programming experience?

1. Getting Started
2. Numbers
3. Letters
4. Variables and Assignment
5. Mixing It Up
6. More about Methods
7. Flow Control
8. Arrays and Iterators
9. Writing Your Own Methods
10. There's Nothing New to Learn in Chapter 10
11 Reading and Writing, Saving and Loading, Yin and...
12. New Classes of Objects
13. Creating New Classes, Changing Existing Ones
14. Blocks and Procs

~ ryan ~

Will Shattuck

Sounds like your at the cusp of a new and exciting thing, so I want
to give you the best advice I can.

Yep, I am about as crispy... er... cuspy as they come right now :)
Here's the table of contents from the book "Learning To Program" that
Ed Borasky suggested in a previous post. (http://
www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/fr_ltp/) Just by glancing at the
chapter titles, which of them seem new, familiar, and old news to you
in terms of your past programming experience?

1. Getting Started
It seems I am always doing this with learning to program
2. Numbers
3. Letters
a..b..c..d..e..f..g.. yep I know my numbers and letters, but I am sure
I don't know what they mean in the Ruby Context.
4. Variables and Assignment
Creating and assigning values to variables I understand. I have done
it in my C# scripting for the mud engine I am helping to create. foo
=3D bar; etc etc ... Then I know how to test for (in)equality... foo =3D=
=3D
bar, foo !=3D bar, foo < bar, etc etc
5. Mixing It Up
Not sure what they mean here...
6. More about Methods
This is probably where I get hung up the most with classes, methods,
instances, instantiation, encapsulation,etc
7. Flow Control
IF, ELSE, THEN, WHILE, etc. I understand the concepts, but will have
to learn The Ruby Way to make them work.
8. Arrays and Iterators
I touched on arrays in the "Head Start Java" book I was learning from,
but never got very far. Iterators are like " foo =3D foo +1" or " foo
+=3D foo " right?
9. Writing Your Own Methods
Methods that are inside classes? Again another place I have a very
basic concept of, but haven't done much with.
10. There's Nothing New to Learn in Chapter 10
11 Reading and Writing, Saving and Loading, Yin and...
File operations.. I did very little of it. I wanted to write a file
parser in PHP for game group for editing files, but didn't understand
the functions very much. I understand the concepts, but not the
application.
12. New Classes of Objects
13. Creating New Classes, Changing Existing Ones
Well I have learned to modify templates, variables, etc in previous
applications, but haven't created any new classes or objects on my
own.
14. Blocks and Procs
One word... huh? ;)

Thanks for taking the time, Ryan, in helping me. I really appreciate
all the suggestions.

I'm looking at an older version of "Learn to Program" by Chris Pine
that I find in the links that James Britt sent. But I'm starting to
fall asleep now so I probably won't go very far right yet. heh

Will

Scott Smith

J. Ryan Sobol

Seems like this book is a good match for you. And the price is right
too: $20 for a paper back, $13 for the PDF version, or $25 for both.

Also, the "Pickaxe" book is pretty much the standard for learning
Ruby. I'm not sure if its at the appropriate level for you, but the
first edition is freely available online. http://www.rubycentral.com/
book/

~ ryan ~

Wilson Bilkovich

[...]

Others have already given very good answers on how to learn Ruby.. but
if you want to learn the fundamentals of programming as a concept
(rather than any specific implementation of that..), I don't think
there's anything better than:
http://www.htdp.org/
..and
http://www2.info.ucl.ac.be/people/PVR/book.html
In theory the second book is only available in hardcover.. but the
Internet Archive still has the old free PDF version, from before it
went to press:
http://web.archive.org/web/20040202004840/http://www.info.ucl.ac.be/people/=
PVR/booksingle.pdf

(The final version has corrections and improvements. If you can afford
it, I recommend it.)

James Britt

J. Ryan Sobol said:
Sounds like your at the cusp of a new and exciting thing, so I want to
give you the best advice I can.

Here's the table of contents from the book "Learning To Program" that
Ed Borasky suggested in a previous post. (http://
www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/fr_ltp/) Just by glancing at the
chapter titles, which of them seem new, familiar, and old news to you
in terms of your past programming experience?

<snip/>

Question: Is this teaching just the Ruby syntax for assorted constructs,
or does it also include algorithm analysis and selection,
speed/memory/resource considerations, application composition and
design, and other programming concepts?

Put another way, what does "program" mean in the book title, and is it
what Will means/expects when learning to program?

James

http://www.30secondrule.com - Building Better Tools

Martin DeMello

Wilson Bilkovich said:
Others have already given very good answers on how to learn Ruby.. but
if you want to learn the fundamentals of programming as a concept
(rather than any specific implementation of that..), I don't think
there's anything better than:
http://www.htdp.org/

Seconded - this is an amazingly good book.

This one's excellent too, but pretty heavy going. I wouldn't recommend
it as a teach-yourself-programming book.

martin

Wilson Bilkovich

Seconded - this is an amazingly good book.

This one's excellent too, but pretty heavy going. I wouldn't recommend
it as a teach-yourself-programming book.

At least you'll know if you're serious about it, after the first few
chapters. :)

Chad Perrin

--4Ckj6UjgE2iN1+kY--

James Edward Gray II

In particular, you could have an array called myarray
(for example) and iterate over its contents using the each method to
perform the same action on each element of the array:

myarray.each do { |foo| puts foo }

Only we would never write that since the following does the same thing:

puts myarray

James Edward Gray II

Michael 'entropie' Trommer

--dTy3Mrz/UPE2dbVg

* Will Shattuck ([email protected]) said:
Hi folks. Happy New Year!
peace,

=20
My question: Where should I start in learning to use Ruby? I have
some ideas, but I do not want to prejudice the discussion with my
ideas.

code little projects which fits your needs, thats imho the only way to
advance in programming (or in a specific lang).
Also, I have a project in mind to use Ruby... A Nethack bot. A friend
programmed one in C# and I thought it would be fun to try and use
Ruby. I know I have a long way to go but it would be fun for me.

code it.

loop do
if your are ready, look at your code, look at your expierience and code it
again if you dont like it .
end

So long
--
Michael 'entropie' Trommer; http://ackro.org

ruby -e "0.upto((a=3D'njduspAhnbjm/dpn').size-1){|x| a[x]-=3D1}; p 'mailto:=
'+a"

--dTy3Mrz/UPE2dbVg

--dTy3Mrz/UPE2dbVg--

James Edward Gray II

Actually, I think there's a difference in behavior
if you try them both.

Other than the return value?
1
2