newbie looking for a good starting point

PJ6

I've used VB.Net for years, but very little ASP.Net/IIS experience. I'm
looking for a good place to start - a fairly large sample project (maybe
even one with a proper middle tier) to get myself up to speed. Any
suggestions?

Paul

Juan T. Llibre

Windows Forms is quite different than ASP.NET, and just using
VB.NET for Windows development, although it's a big help,
doesn't do anything for familiarizing yourself with the web classes
in the Framework, which is your main task now.

First, you should determine whether to start
with ASP.NET 1.1 or with ASP.NET 2.0.

For ASP.NET 1.1, start at
http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/aspplus/

For ASP.NET 2.0, start at :
http://beta.asp.net/quickstart/aspnet/Default.aspx

That will give you a the background you'll need to be
able to understand a "fairly large sample project".

Then, after you understand the basics ( it shouldn't take you too long
to browse through, run and see the source for the examples there,
download the starter kits and dissect them.

Starter Kits for ASP.NET 1.1 :
http://www.asp.net/Default.aspx?tabindex=8&tabid=47

Starter Kits for ASP.NET 2.0 :
http://www.asp.net/vwd/starterkits.aspx?tabIndex=4&tabId=46

After you're done with those, you'll be ready for a large project.

If after all this, you still think you can dive into a fairly large
project without practicing any basic skills, I'd suggest you
download and install the Community Server Forums :

http://communityserver.org/forums/default.aspx

They use a fairly large smattering of specialized components.
user management routines, data-handlig, security, etc.,
all handled according to ASP.NET best practices.

Dissect that source code. It's a valuable teacher.