Newbie

tommy

Hi,

I am new to Web applications and statelessness. I had a question about Post
Back. I noticed in one of my pages where I have some event handlers that
change values of controls (checkboxes) that my page is posted back when this
occurs. There is alot of this interaction and I am storing my session state
in a db. So, on every posted back I need to retrieve session state and this
could be potentially a problem. Is there a way around this or a better
design? Should I look into AJAX?

Thanks

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

If the conrols in question are used to fill other controls, like "I choose
UNited States and the state list is filled with teh states of the United
States" then Ajax is a good option. If the lists are short, JavaScript is
another option. There is no need to postback for user experience types of
issues, so Ajax or JavaScript arrays is a good option.

The session state is a completely different issue. If you are storing tons
of stuff in session (not good in ASp.NET), you could end up with a problem
with numerous postbacks. If you follow best practices, the postbacks are not
likely to be a problem until you have tons of users on the system, which
constitutes a "success problem". :)

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA