NGENed assembly in shared hosting

Peter Zolja

I use a third party for hosting; and the only way I can update my site is
with FTP. To make the site faster I was wondering if I could somehow NGEN
the generated assemblies (2.0 BTW) and use those to run the site via shared
hosting. Right now I believe the NGENed version is placed in the GAC. Is
there a way to fish those assemblies out of there and use them?

Thank you,
Peter.

Guest

NGEN-ed assemblies are machine - specific (processor type, etc) and so it is
probably not a good idea to try this. the only increase in speed you'll get
with an NGEN-ed assembly anyway is initial load time. Then end result from
JIT compilation is machine code in either case, so it's doubtful you would
gain any advantage.

Peter

Peter Zolja

NGEN-ed assemblies are machine - specific (processor type, etc) and so it
is
probably not a good idea to try this. the only increase in speed you'll
get
with an NGEN-ed assembly anyway is initial load time. Then end result from
JIT compilation is machine code in either case, so it's doubtful you would
gain any advantage.

Yes, I'm trying to speed up the initial load of the site. Unfortunately,
because of memory constraints, I assume, our hosting company periodically
dumps the cached/JITed machine code. So, even though I don't make any
changes to the site the assemblies are recompiled many times. I haven't
researched how often this happens but I would estimate at least once a day.

The type of processor the hosting company uses is a mystery. I was hoping
the generated machine code would be more generic; for example x86 vs 64bit
rather than Intel vs AMD, in which case NGEN-ing would make a bit more
sense. Then again, I don't know all the details.

Thanks.