Support for Com Controls in Shared Hosting Services

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Uriah Piddle, Dec 6, 2006.

  1. Uriah Piddle

    Uriah Piddle Guest

    Hi,

    For my ASP.NET 2.0 website, I found what looks like a really great freeware
    text editor (XStandard: http://xstandard.com/default.asp) but it is a COM
    component. I've never set up a website and I'm not sure I want to invest a
    couple of days on this control and find out it is not supported. I talked to
    someone at webhost4life and he said 'it shouldn't be a problem' and I don't
    like the 'shouldn't' word. I'm just wondering: should I be worried about
    this or do all the web hosting companies support third-party COM controls
    like this as a matter of course?

    The XStandard control is a text editor. One of the things I like about it is
    that it does not give the user a whole slough of buttons so he can choose
    any font, any color of the rainbow or format his text in thousands of ways.
    It lets you define the formatting options and presents them in a combo box.
    Pretty clever.

    Thanks.

    Steve

    Uriah Piddle, Dec 6, 2006

  2. Uriah Piddle

    bruce barker Guest

    as the active/x control is installed on the client machine, not the
    server you should be ok.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Dec 6, 2006