-= No Line Wrap Curses.h =-

Michael

I am having a hard time trying to find out how to stop windows from
line wrapping using the curses library. Does anyone know how?

Thanks,

Michael

Mark A. Odell

(e-mail address removed) (Michael) wrote in

I am having a hard time trying to find out how to stop windows from
line wrapping using the curses library. Does anyone know how?

Nope. Do you have C langauge question?

Mark McIntyre

I am having a hard time trying to find out how to stop windows from
line wrapping using the curses library. Does anyone know how?

Unfortunately yur questoin has nothing to do with C, it seems to be a
windows or curses question. You'd have to ask in a windows programming
group, and/or a unix one (since curses was a unix library originally)

Richard Tobin

I am having a hard time trying to find out how to stop windows from
line wrapping using the curses library. Does anyone know how?
[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately yur questoin has nothing to do with C, it seems to be a
windows or curses question. You'd have to ask in a windows programming
group, and/or a unix one (since curses was a unix library originally)

I'm sure you're not going to agree, but this seems completely
backwards. Curses has been ported to several operating systems,
so no OS-specific group is really appropriate. There's no group
for curses itself, and the one obvious thing about it is that it's
a *C* library. So to many people this really is the obvious group
for it.

I don't know of any other language where the corresponding comp.lang.*
group is so hostile to questions of this kind.

Perhaps we should create another group, say comp.lang.c.misc, that
is happy to accept any C-themed questions, regardless of whether they
can be answered strictly within the context of the C standards.

-- Richard

Alan Balmer

Unfortunately yur questoin has nothing to do with C, it seems to be a
windows or curses question. You'd have to ask in a windows programming
group, and/or a unix one (since curses was a unix library originally)

I'm sure you're not going to agree, but this seems completely
backwards. Curses has been ported to several operating systems,
so no OS-specific group is really appropriate. There's no group
for curses itself, and the one obvious thing about it is that it's
a *C* library. So to many people this really is the obvious group
for it.
[/QUOTE]
An OS-specific programming group (as opposed to a language group) may
indeed be appropriate. comp.unix.programming (not comp.unix.os)
handles such questions, as does comp.programming.

Really, we can't deal with everything that's ever been coded in C.

red floyd

Malcolm said:
It's basically a Unix system. It has been ported, but only so that Unix
programs can work on other platforms. So comp.unix.programming is probably
the right group.
The problem is that C is such a widely-used language that we have to be
strict on topicality. Otherwise the group turns into a general programming
group.

Right. Especially consider this. Minesweeper was coded in C. Should
we therefore answer questions about Minesweeper since it's on multiple
platforms?

Malcolm

Richard Tobin said:
I'm sure you're not going to agree, but this seems completely
backwards. Curses has been ported to several operating systems,
so no OS-specific group is really appropriate. There's no group
for curses itself, and the one obvious thing about it is that it's
a *C* library. So to many people this really is the obvious group
for it.
It's basically a Unix system. It has been ported, but only so that Unix
programs can work on other platforms. So comp.unix.programming is probably
the right group.
The problem is that C is such a widely-used language that we have to be
strict on topicality. Otherwise the group turns into a general programming
group.

Keith Thompson

Malcolm said:
It's basically a Unix system. It has been ported, but only so that Unix
programs can work on other platforms. So comp.unix.programming is probably
the right group.
The problem is that C is such a widely-used language that we have to be
strict on topicality. Otherwise the group turns into a general programming
group.

Quibble: It's comp.unix.programmer.

Dan Pop

Unfortunately yur questoin has nothing to do with C, it seems to be a
windows or curses question. You'd have to ask in a windows programming
group, and/or a unix one (since curses was a unix library originally)

I'm sure you're not going to agree, but this seems completely
backwards. Curses has been ported to several operating systems,
so no OS-specific group is really appropriate.[/QUOTE]

Wrong. The curses library has been standardised by various Unix
standards. So, a newsgroup dealing with Unix programming is the
natural and obvious choice for discussing curses issues, even if the
poster is not a Unix programmer.
There's no group
for curses itself, and the one obvious thing about it is that it's
a *C* library. So to many people this really is the obvious group
for it.

There are zillions of C libraries around. Some of them widely ported.
So what? They are still not part of the C programming language.
Perhaps we should create another group, say comp.lang.c.misc, that
is happy to accept any C-themed questions, regardless of whether they
can be answered strictly within the context of the C standards.

The C questions can be divided into platform independent (comp.lang.c)
and platform specific (newsgroups dedicated to programming on specific
platforms); there is precious little that would be left for
comp.lang.c.misc, mostly questions about C programming on "exotic"
platforms that don't have their own newsgroups (in which case, the
chances of getting a useful reply would be minimal).

Dan

CBFalconer

Dan said:
.... snip ...

The C questions can be divided into platform independent (comp.lang.c)
and platform specific (newsgroups dedicated to programming on specific
platforms); there is precious little that would be left for
comp.lang.c.misc, mostly questions about C programming on "exotic"
platforms that don't have their own newsgroups (in which case, the
chances of getting a useful reply would be minimal).

comp.arch.embedded handles a large portion of those.

Mark McIntyre

I'm sure you're not going to agree, but this seems completely
backwards. Curses has been ported to several operating systems,

So has TCP/IP, JPEG, TeX and a zillion other things. I'm not sure they're
topical here either.
I don't know of any other language where the corresponding comp.lang.*
group is so hostile to questions of this kind.

Perhaps we should create another group, say comp.lang.c.misc,

Feel free.