Object of type 'System.String' cannot be converted to type 'System

Robert

I'm trying to get a control from metabuilders.com dual list)to work under
ASP.NET 2.0. It worked find under 1.1 and then when i migrated my
application to 2.0 I ran into problems with it.

However, I'm getting an error on a particular line as follows:

Exception: System.Web.HttpUnhandledException: Exception of type
'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown. --->
System.ArgumentException: Object of type 'System.String' cannot be converted
to type 'System.Web.VirtualPath'.
at System.RuntimeType.CheckValue(Object value, Binder binder, CultureInfo
culture, BindingFlags invokeAttr)
at System.Reflection.MethodBase.CheckArguments(Object[] parameters, Binder
binder, BindingFlags invokeAttr, CultureInfo culture, Signature sig)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags
invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean
skipVisibilityChecks)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags
invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
at MetaBuilders.WebControls.DynamicListBoxResourceHandler.DetermineIsRegistere
d()
at MetaBuilders.WebControls.DynamicListBoxResourceHandler.get_IsRegistered()
at
MetaBuilders.WebControls.DynamicListBoxResourceHandler.RegisterScript(Page
page, String scriptKey, String scriptFile)
at MetaBuilders.WebControls.DualList.RegisterScriptLibrary()
at MetaBuilders.WebControls.DualList.RegisterScript()
at MetaBuilders.WebControls.DualList.OnPreRender(EventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()
at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()
at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()

The function where the error occurs is below and the line causing the error
reads "Object handler = findMapping.Invoke..."

I'm a bit lost because I'm having trouble understanding exactly what this
function does and why all of sudden it does not work under 2.0 but works fine
under 1.1.

Any ideas or suggestions? I'm also at the point of throwning the thing
completely out and creating my own. The metabuilders site seems to be
basically dead for the past year so I'm out of luck getting help there.

private static Boolean DetermineIsRegistered() {
Object handlerMap =
System.Web.HttpContext.GetAppConfig("system.web/httpHandlers");
if ( handlerMap == null ) {
return false;
}

MethodInfo findMapping = handlerMap.GetType().GetMethod("FindMapping",
BindingFlags.Instance | BindingFlags.Public | BindingFlags.NonPublic );
if ( findMapping == null ) {
return false;
}

Object handler = findMapping.Invoke(handlerMap, new Object[] { "GET",
handlerName } );
if ( handler == null ) {
return false;
}

PropertyInfo handlerPathProperty = handler.GetType().GetProperty("Path",
BindingFlags.NonPublic | BindingFlags.Instance );
if ( handlerPathProperty == null ) {
return false;
}

String handlerPath = handlerPathProperty.GetValue(handler,null) as String;
if ( handlerPath == null || handlerPath != handlerName ) {
return false;
}

return true;

Kevin Yu [MSFT]

Hi,

We have reviewed this issue and are currently researching on it. We will
update you ASAP. Thanks for your patience!

Kevin Yu
=======
rights."

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hello Robert,

Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
From your description, you're using a certain 3rd party webcontrol in your
asp.net applicaiton, it works well in ASP.NET 1.1 and after upgrate to the
asp.net 2.0 ,it no longer work and throw some parameter converting error ,
yes?

Based on the exception message and call stack you provided, seems that
webcontrol is using the HttpContext.GetAppConfig method to retrieve
web.config's configuration info in your certain web control. And based on
my research the HttpContext.GetAppConfig method return an object instance
(of a internal class type), so this method is not designed for external
use(mainly used by asp.net runtime internally), also in asp.net 2.0 this
method has been marked as obsolete. So the problem must be caused by some
internal implementation of the method and its return type has been changed.
And from MSDN documenation , we can find that in ASP.NET 2.0, we're
suggested to use the
System.Web.Configuration.WebConfigurationManager.GetWebApplicationSection
instead of the HttpContext.GetAppConfig since the .net framework 2.0 has
provided much more powerful interfaces to retrieve application
configuration data......

So as for your scenario, the webcontrol is developed by 3rd party, I'm
afraid we have to contact the 3rd party to see whether they've provided new
version which has used the new interfaces which can work correctly in
ASP.NET 2.0.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
> [...]
|
| MethodInfo findMapping = handlerMap.GetType().GetMethod("FindMapping",
| BindingFlags.Instance | BindingFlags.Public | BindingFlags.NonPublic );
| if ( findMapping == null ) {
| return false;
| }
|
| Object handler = findMapping.Invoke(handlerMap, new Object[] { "GET",
| handlerName } );
| if ( handler == null ) {
| return false;
| }
|
| PropertyInfo handlerPathProperty =
handler.GetType().GetProperty("Path",
| BindingFlags.NonPublic | BindingFlags.Instance );
| if ( handlerPathProperty == null ) {
| return false;
| }
|
| String handlerPath = handlerPathProperty.GetValue(handler,null) as
String;
| if ( handlerPath == null || handlerPath != handlerName ) {

Robert

Thanks for your response. I have sent to them and will see if i get a
response back. Otherwise I'll just roll my own control from scratch since
there's is a bit overly heavy for what I am using it for and it will be
easier to build a simpler one to meet my needs from scratch then try to
figure out the purpose of the section that is causing an issue.

If i get a response back, I'll post how to fix the problem in the event
someone else is interested down the road.

Thanks for the speedy response.

Steven Cheng said:
Hello Robert,

Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
From your description, you're using a certain 3rd party webcontrol in your
> [...]

| MethodInfo findMapping = handlerMap.GetType().GetMethod("FindMapping",
| BindingFlags.Instance | BindingFlags.Public | BindingFlags.NonPublic );
| if ( findMapping == null ) {
| return false;
| }
|
| Object handler = findMapping.Invoke(handlerMap, new Object[] { "GET",
| handlerName } );
| if ( handler == null ) {
| return false;
| }
|
| PropertyInfo handlerPathProperty =
handler.GetType().GetProperty("Path",
| BindingFlags.NonPublic | BindingFlags.Instance );
| if ( handlerPathProperty == null ) {
| return false;
| }
|
| String handlerPath = handlerPathProperty.GetValue(handler,null) as
String;
| if ( handlerPath == null || handlerPath != handlerName ) {

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your response Robert,

Yes, if it's not very complex to construct a new custom webcontrol to
replace that 3rd party one, that'll be the quickest and most convenience
approach since we can utilize the new ASP.NET 2.0 configuration model.
Anyway, please feel free to post here when you got any progress or need any
further assistance.

> [...]

| > | culture, BindingFlags invokeAttr)
| > | at System.Reflection.MethodBase.CheckArguments(Object[] parameters,
| > Binder
| > | binder, BindingFlags invokeAttr, CultureInfo culture, Signature sig)
| > | at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj,
BindingFlags
| > | invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture,
| > Boolean
| > | skipVisibilityChecks)
| > | at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj,
BindingFlags
| > | invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
| > | at

MetaBuilders.WebControls.DynamicListBoxResourceHandler.DetermineIsRegistere
| > | d()
| > | at

MetaBuilders.WebControls.DynamicListBoxResourceHandler.get_IsRegistered()
| > |

MetaBuilders.WebControls.DynamicListBoxResourceHandler.RegisterScript(Page
| > | page, String scriptKey, String scriptFile)
| > | at MetaBuilders.WebControls.DualList.RegisterScriptLibrary()
| > | at MetaBuilders.WebControls.DualList.RegisterScript()
| > | at MetaBuilders.WebControls.DualList.OnPreRender(EventArgs e)
| > | at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()
| > | at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()
| > | at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()
| > | at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean
| > | includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
| > |
| > |
| > | The function where the error occurs is below and the line causing the
| > error
| > | reads "Object handler = findMapping.Invoke..."
| > |
| > | I'm a bit lost because I'm having trouble understanding exactly what
this
| > | function does and why all of sudden it does not work under 2.0 but
works
| > fine
| > | under 1.1.
| > |
| > | Any ideas or suggestions? I'm also at the point of throwning the
thing
| > | completely out and creating my own. The metabuilders site seems to
be
| > | basically dead for the past year so I'm out of luck getting help
there.
| > |
| > | private static Boolean DetermineIsRegistered() {
| > | Object handlerMap =
| > | System.Web.HttpContext.GetAppConfig("system.web/httpHandlers");
| > | if ( handlerMap == null ) {
| > | return false;
| > | }
| > |
| > | MethodInfo findMapping =
handlerMap.GetType().GetMethod("FindMapping",
| > | BindingFlags.Instance | BindingFlags.Public | BindingFlags.NonPublic
);
| > | if ( findMapping == null ) {
| > | return false;
| > | }
| > |
| > | Object handler = findMapping.Invoke(handlerMap, new Object[] {
"GET",
| > | handlerName } );
| > | if ( handler == null ) {
| > | return false;
| > | }
| > |
| > | PropertyInfo handlerPathProperty =
| > handler.GetType().GetProperty("Path",
| > | BindingFlags.NonPublic | BindingFlags.Instance );
| > | if ( handlerPathProperty == null ) {
| > | return false;
| > | }
| > |
| > | String handlerPath = handlerPathProperty.GetValue(handler,null) as
| > String;
| > | if ( handlerPath == null || handlerPath != handlerName ) {
| > | return false;
| > | }
| > |
| > | return true;
| > | }
| > |

阿利

alcsharp 寫é“:
Hi Robert,
I just came across your post as I was looking for a solution for the
same exact issue using metabuilder's DualList in .Net 2.0. I know it's
a bit late since you posted this months ago but I have a solution to it
that seems to be working. Let me know if you're still interested and
I'll post the changes to sourcecode provided with the control that got
it working for me (was only 2 lines that had to change).
Thanks,
Alex

yea ~ I'd like to know , please send me a copy :D

Miz