Open letter to Ian Collins

jacob navia

Hi Ian

In the c++ newsgroup you asked me for an example of the ccl performance
It was something with building a huge list, then sorting it, if I
remember correctly...

I have built this example code:

#include <stdlib.h>
#include "containers.h"
#define N 10000000
int main(void)
{
List *L1;
size_t i,d;
long long sum=0,newSum=0;
Iterator *it;
int *pint;

L1 = iList.Create(sizeof(int));
iList.UseHeap(L1,NULL);
for (i=0; i<N;i++) {
d = rand();
sum += d;
iList.Add(L1,&d);
}
iList.Sort(L1);
it = iList.NewIterator(L1);
for (pint = it->GetFirst(it); pint; pint = it->GetNext(it)) {
newSum += *pint;
}
if (sum != newSum)
printf("Failed\n");
else printf("Sum = %lld\n",sum);
iList.Finalize(L1);
}

This creates a list, then fills it with 10 million random integers,
then sorts it and verifies that all the data is still there by
accessing all elements of the list with an iterator.

Can you please send me an equivalent C++program?

Thanks

Ike Naar

Hi Ian

In the c++ newsgroup you asked me for an example of the ccl performance
It was something with building a huge list, then sorting it, if I
remember correctly...

I have built this example code:

#include <stdlib.h>
#include "containers.h"
#define N 10000000
int main(void)
{
List *L1;
size_t i,d;
long long sum=0,newSum=0;
Iterator *it;
int *pint;

L1 = iList.Create(sizeof(int));
iList.UseHeap(L1,NULL);
for (i=0; i<N;i++) {
d = rand();
sum += d;
iList.Add(L1,&d);

This seems dangerous. iList.Add expects a pointer to an
int for the second argument, and it receives a pointer to
a size_t. What if int and size_t have different sizes?

Malcolm McLean

בת×ריך ×™×•× ×©×‘×ª,26 במ××™ 2012 23:22:01 UTC+1, מ×ת jacob navia:
iList.Sort(L1);
Can you please send me an equivalent C++program?
You very rarely want to sort a list of integers or other atomic type. Almost always you want to sort records based on a field, or on two fields, e.g. surname followed by intials, or you want to do somethign funny, like sorting strings alphabetically but putting embedded numbers in numeric order so that fred_99 comes before fred_100.

MelissA

Hi Ian

In the c++ newsgroup you asked me for an example of the ccl
performance It was something with building a huge list, then sorting
it, if I remember correctly...

I have built this example code:

#include <stdlib.h>
#include "containers.h"
#define N 10000000
int main(void)
{
List *L1;
size_t i,d;
long long sum=0,newSum=0;
Iterator *it;
int *pint;

L1 = iList.Create(sizeof(int));
iList.UseHeap(L1,NULL);
for (i=0; i<N;i++) {
d = rand();
sum += d;
iList.Add(L1,&d);
}
iList.Sort(L1);
it = iList.NewIterator(L1);
for (pint = it->GetFirst(it); pint; pint = it->GetNext(it)) {
newSum += *pint;
}
if (sum != newSum)
printf("Failed\n");
else printf("Sum = %lld\n",sum);
iList.Finalize(L1);
}

This creates a list, then fills it with 10 million random integers,
then sorts it and verifies that all the data is still there by
accessing all elements of the list with an iterator.

Can you please send me an equivalent C++program?

Thanks

Well, I have tested list sorting and traversing and quick sort
by value (doesn't change nodes order) is much faster than
standard stl list sort (which changes nodes order).
Also after sort that doesn't change nodes order, traversing
is much faster then after sort that does change nodes order.
That is of course if initial list nodes are consecutive.
Doesn't matter how much cache cpu has 512kb is enough
to show significant difference.

Greetings!

jacob navia

Le 27/05/12 00:36, Ike Naar a écrit :
This seems dangerous. iList.Add expects a pointer to an
int for the second argument, and it receives a pointer to
a size_t. What if int and size_t have different sizes?

Well, the list software will read the lower sizeof(int) bytes, that's
all.

The other way around would be dangerous: passing a pointer to int to a
size_t;

But strictly speaking you are right of course. Will change that.

jacob navia

Le 27/05/12 00:41, Malcolm McLean a écrit :
בת×ריך ×™×•× ×©×‘×ª, 26 במ××™ 2012 23:22:01 UTC+1, מ×ת jacob navia:
You very rarely want to sort a list of integers or other atomic type.

Almost always you want to sort records based on a field, or on two fields,

e.g. surname followed by intials, or you want to do somethign funny,

like sorting strings alphabetically but putting embedded numbers in

numeric order so that fred_99 comes before fred_100.
I know, it is just for comparing performance of ccl vs stl

Malcolm McLean

בת×ריך ×™×•× ×©×‘×ª,26 במ××™ 2012 23:36:29 UTC+1, מ×ת Ike Naar:
This seems dangerous. iList.Add expects a pointer to an
int for the second argument, and it receives a pointer to
a size_t. What if int and size_t have different sizes?
Yes, size_t is a menace. I've been saying that for a while. The problem is that programmers are unwilling to use it consistently. If you want an integer, you type int.

Barry Schwarz

Le 27/05/12 00:36, Ike Naar a écrit :

Well, the list software will read the lower sizeof(int) bytes, that's
all.

And on a big-endian machine this will produce the correct value?

Not to mention the mandatory diagnostic during compilation.
The other way around would be dangerous: passing a pointer to int to a
size_t;

But strictly speaking you are right of course. Will change that.

Even casually speaking.

Stephen Sprunk

Hi Ian

In the c++ newsgroup you asked me for an example of the ccl performance
It was something with building a huge list, then sorting it, if I
remember correctly...

Then shouldn't you have posted the response to "the c++ newsgroup"
rather than comp.lang.c?
[a bunch of C++ code]

Off-topic here.

Ian Collins

Hi Ian

In the c++ newsgroup you asked me for an example of the ccl performance
It was something with building a huge list, then sorting it, if I
remember correctly...

I have built this example code:

#include<stdlib.h>
#include "containers.h"
#define N 10000000
int main(void)
{
List *L1;
size_t i,d;
long long sum=0,newSum=0;
Iterator *it;
int *pint;

All good code should have at least one beer reference!

It be a lot easier to see what is what if these were declared on first use.
L1 = iList.Create(sizeof(int));
iList.UseHeap(L1,NULL);
for (i=0; i<N;i++) {
d = rand();
sum += d;
iList.Add(L1,&d);
}
iList.Sort(L1);
it = iList.NewIterator(L1);
for (pint = it->GetFirst(it); pint; pint = it->GetNext(it)) {
newSum += *pint;
}
if (sum != newSum)
printf("Failed\n");
else printf("Sum = %lld\n",sum);
iList.Finalize(L1);
}

This creates a list, then fills it with 10 million random integers,
then sorts it and verifies that all the data is still there by
accessing all elements of the list with an iterator.

Can you please send me an equivalent C++program?

I did (with the addition of using one list to initialise another) in the
c.l.c++ thread you should have posted this in response to.

Ian Collins

Hi Ian

In the c++ newsgroup you asked me for an example of the ccl performance
It was something with building a huge list, then sorting it, if I
remember correctly...

I have built this example code:
<snip>

I get a segv when I run the example. Running in dbx with access
checking enabled shows:

Write to unallocated (wua):
Attempting to write 1 byte at address 0x8091d88
which is just past heap block of size 800 bytes at 0x8091a68
This block was allocated from:
newHeapObject<-NewLink<-Add_nd<-Add<-main
Location of error: heap.c, line 75, newHeapObject()

The offending code appears to be here in heap.c:

/* The array of block pointers is full. Allocate CHUNK_SIZE blocks
more */
siz = (l->BlockCount+CHUNK_SIZE)*sizeof(ListElement *);
result = l->Allocator->realloc(l->Heap,siz);
if (result == NULL) {
return NULL;
}
l->MemoryUsed+= siz;
l->Heap = (char **)result;
/* Position pointer at the start of the new area */
result += l->BlockCount*sizeof(ListElement *);
/* Zero the new pointers */
memset(result,0,siz);

It looks like you are allocating siz byes, incrementing part (half) way
through the bock then zeroing the next siz bytes.

jacob navia

Le 27/05/12 05:16, Ian Collins a écrit :
<snip>

I get a segv when I run the example. Running in dbx with access checking
enabled shows:

I corrected that yesterday. When you asked me gthis example I was in the
middle of a reorganization of heap.c. Look at the latest update

jacob navia

Le 27/05/12 00:22, jacob navia a écrit :

[snip code]

Measuring the speed of the program, you can see that a big part of the
time is spent in malloc.

Without the line

iList.UseHeap(L1);

we obtain
real 0m16.842s
user 0m16.421s
sys 0m0.401s

but using a specialized heap we obtain
real 0m11.541s
user 0m11.253s
sys 0m0.253s

Problem is, a specialized heap (for objects of the same size)
is difficult to implement correctly. After several tentatives
I have decided that I would have

1) An array of block pointers that can be realloced to hold more
if full.
2) Each of the positions of the pointers array points to a block of
1000 objects. Those can't be realloced since they are passed
to user programs
3) A bit map that marks which positions are free within the
structure. It should contain
Number of blocks * 1000 bits

When freeing a position I mark the corresponding bit as free
and put the object in the free list.

I am still not done with this.

jacob

Ian Collins

Le 27/05/12 05:16, Ian Collins a écrit :

I corrected that yesterday. When you asked me gthis example I was in the
middle of a reorganization of heap.c. Look at the latest update

OK, I thought I had but I didn't notice wget saving the file as cc.zip.1
rather than overwriting the version I downloaded earlier in the week.

Anyway I ran ran the code built with Sun Studio rather than gcc because
it runs quite a bit faster. As I expected, the big difference was in
sorting:

ccl version:

To sort 85.6384S

C++ version (std::list.sort()):

To sort 18.7927S

Iteration was closer:

To access 2.80655S (ccl)
To access 1.82896S

jacob navia

Le 27/05/12 10:56, Ian Collins a écrit :
As I expected, the big difference was in sorting:

ccl version:

To sort 85.6384S

C++ version (std::list.sort()):

To sort 18.7927S

Yes. But I am not finished yet. I am writing a generic
qsort module that will avoid the function call overhead of
the current solution.

As it is now, qsort calls a user defined sort function, that makes a
memcmp of the data...

With the generic qsort function you would directly compare
the data (without function calls) by specifying a macro
for comparing your data. For integers it would be simply

a - b

what should put me on equal footing to C++.
Iteration was closer:
To access 2.80655S (ccl)
To access 1.82896S

This is because iterators have a function call overhead.
But this is surely not catastrophic: if after 10 million
iterations the difference is just 1 second... it is not
really bad.

Ian Collins

Le 27/05/12 10:56, Ian Collins a écrit :

Yes. But I am not finished yet. I am writing a generic
qsort module that will avoid the function call overhead of
the current solution.

As it is now, qsort calls a user defined sort function, that makes a
memcmp of the data...

With the generic qsort function you would directly compare
the data (without function calls) by specifying a macro
for comparing your data. For integers it would be simply

a - b

That will be interesting to see.

BartC

Ian Collins said:
All good code should have at least one beer reference!

It be a lot easier to see what is what if these were declared on first
use.

As in, instead of reading a play which starts with a cast of characters,
they should be introduced whenever they first appear?

Suppose you're delving into a random scene, (or have an extract for use
elsewhere), and want to be reminded who a character is, you have to start
ploughing through from page one first until you encounter their first
mention?

And if you are editing the play, and the character's first appearance is
edited out, or is moved somewhere where it's no longer the first appearance;
how much work is it going to be to fix up declarations properly?

Getting back to C, wouldn't macros and enumerations (and file-scope
variables, external references, etc) also all benefit from being declared
where they are first used? (And what sort of mess would that make of any
program...).

Anyway I thought everyone used smart editors now, where you hover over a
name or something, and it tells you everything about it.

Ian Collins

As in, instead of reading a play which starts with a cast of characters,
they should be introduced whenever they first appear?

Suppose you're delving into a random scene, (or have an extract for use
elsewhere), and want to be reminded who a character is, you have to start
ploughing through from page one first until you encounter their first
mention?

A function is more like a limerick than a play.
And if you are editing the play, and the character's first appearance is
edited out, or is moved somewhere where it's no longer the first appearance;
how much work is it going to be to fix up declarations properly?

No a lot.
Getting back to C, wouldn't macros and enumerations (and file-scope
variables, external references, etc) also all benefit from being declared
where they are first used? (And what sort of mess would that make of any
program...).

I would make them longer, unlike declaring variables when they are
needed makes them shorter. Besides, how do you introduce a const other
that where it is initialised?
Anyway I thought everyone used smart editors now, where you hover over a
name or something, and it tells you everything about it.

Alas, Thunderbird lack that feature.

BartC

Ian Collins said:
A function is more like a limerick than a play.

In that case I can't see it being a big imposition if the names were
declared at the top of the function (ie. at the top of the screen if a
function is small). Then it gets the clutter out of the code. And all uses
of the name are identical (instead of one of them needing a declaration).
Although, it will make the function a bit longer..
I would make them longer, unlike declaring variables when they are needed
makes them shorter.

That's another thing; uses of i, j and k for loop indices is fairly
standard. They probably will be ints, and the formality of having to declare
them can be kept out of the way instead of making for-loops even longer.
(Alternatively for-loop variables could be implicitly declared.)
Besides, how do you introduce a const other that where it is initialised?

What do you mean by a const? If it is a name that is to be used in several
places, then it can also benefit from splitting declaration (and
initialisation) from it's use.

It gets more complicated when declarations in blocks are used (which
apparently have their own name spaces). But I've never used those, and if
functions are small as everyone says they should be, I can't see the need.

(Of course my point of view is from reading code rather than writing it. But
the former should have priority.)