opengl problem (from gears sample)

Roberto Cm

I wanted to take a look at ruby's opengl but I'm having issues -- can
you help me out? I installed it and I can require it in irb or a file
without issue:

irb
001:0> require 'opengl'
true
002:0> include Gl, Glu, Glut
Object

I downloaded the opengl gears demo here:
http://members.shaw.ca/michael.brooks/gears_using_shaders.zip
and this won't run. It errors out with:
ruby: symbol lookup error:
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.3dev/gems/ruby-opengl-0.60.1/lib/glut.so:
undefined symbol: STR2CSTR

ruby -v
ruby 1.9.3dev (2010-05-31 trunk 28108) [powerpc64-linux]
gem specification ruby-opengl|grep -1 version
name: ruby-opengl
version: !ruby/object:Gem::Version
prerelease: false
--
- 1
version: 0.60.1

Ad

Joel VanderWerf

Roberto said:
I wanted to take a look at ruby's opengl but I'm having issues -- can
you help me out? I installed it and I can require it in irb or a file
without issue:

irb
001:0> require 'opengl'
true
002:0> include Gl, Glu, Glut
Object

I downloaded the opengl gears demo here:
http://members.shaw.ca/michael.brooks/gears_using_shaders.zip
and this won't run. It errors out with:
ruby: symbol lookup error:
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.3dev/gems/ruby-opengl-0.60.1/lib/glut.so:
undefined symbol: STR2CSTR

Try installing and running it with ruby 1.8.x. The STR2CSTR macro is not
used in 1.9.2, so it looks like someone will have to update the opengl lib.

Ad

Roberto Cm

Joel said:
Try installing and running it with ruby 1.8.x. The STR2CSTR macro is not
used in 1.9.2, so it looks like someone will have to update the opengl
lib.
that's a shame ...

I can confirm it does work, although very slowly, in 1.8. thanks