I downloaded the cx_Oracle Python interface to Oracle(r) Version: 4.0
Date: December 17, 2003 Win32 binary for Oracle 8i, Python 2.) and
proceeded to exercise the usage example:

PythonWin 2.3.2 (#49, Oct 2 2003, 20:02:00) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)]
on win32.
Portions Copyright 1994-2001 Mark Hammond ([email protected]) -
see 'Help/About PythonWin' for further copyright information.Traceback (most recent call last):
DatabaseError: ORA-12514: TNS:listener could not resolve SERVICE_NAME
given in connect descriptor

(end usage example quote)

Any ideas as to what the problem is?

Thanks in advance for the usual valuable and pertinent advice I have
come to expect from this forum.

John Benson
(e-mail address removed)

Aurelio Martin

Hi, I'm a non-Oracle guy just starting to use Python to explore Oracle.
I enclose the Python command prompt log for the usage example further
down with only the user, password and host names changed to keep me out
of trouble. But first, I'd like to point out that I'm able to logon to
myhost, and get into the following via SQL*Plus using myuser/mypassword

Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.3.0 - Production
With the Partitioning option
JServer Release 8.1.7.3.0 - Production

(end quote of Unix box SQL*Plus stuff)

so I know that myuser/mypassword works for SQL*Plus on the myhost Unix
box.

I downloaded the cx_Oracle Python interface to Oracle(r) Version: 4.0
Date: December 17, 2003 Win32 binary for Oracle 8i, Python 2.) and
proceeded to exercise the usage example:

PythonWin 2.3.2 (#49, Oct 2 2003, 20:02:00) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)]
on win32.
Portions Copyright 1994-2001 Mark Hammond ([email protected]) -
see 'Help/About PythonWin' for further copyright information.

Traceback (most recent call last):
DatabaseError: ORA-12514: TNS:listener could not resolve SERVICE_NAME
given in connect descriptor

I think it's a problem with the connection data in your Windows PC.
You have tested a local connection ( user/password ) on the Unix host
with SQL*Plus.
Have you tried a remote connection ( user/password@host ) from your
Windows PC with SQL*Plus ?
I think you will find the same problem if you try it with SQL*Plus.

Probably the connection data in your TNSNAMES.ORA file is not correct.

Hope this helps

Aurelio