os.startfile / webbrowser + Firefox

Matthias Huening

Hi,

os.startfile('http://www.python.org') works fine on WinXP with IE as
default webbrowser. With Mozilla Firefox 0.9 as default webbrowser,
however, I get an error. Firefox starts, the page gets loaded and then
Python gives me an error message (Traceback below). The same is true
for the webbowser module. Is this a Python problem or a Firefox
problem?

Matthias

Traceback (most recent call last):
os.startfile('http://www.python.org')
WindowsError: [Errno 2] Das System kann die angegebene Datei
nicht finden: 'http://www.python.org'

Traceback (most recent call last):
webbrowser.open('http://www.python.org')
File "C:\Python23\lib\webbrowser.py", line 43, in open
get().open(url, new, autoraise)
File "C:\Python23\lib\webbrowser.py", line 250, in open
os.startfile(url)
WindowsError: [Errno 2] Das System kann die angegebene Datei
nicht finden: 'http://www.python.org'

Martin Franklin

[...]

I hate to say but it worked for me using Opera as my default browser
on Windows 2000 but fails with Firefox so I guess it's a Firefox thing...

FYI webbrowser just calls os.startfile on windows hence the same error

Martin

Vincent Wehren

| Hi,
|
| os.startfile('http://www.python.org') works fine on WinXP with IE as
| default webbrowser. With Mozilla Firefox 0.9 as default webbrowser,
| however, I get an error. Firefox starts, the page gets loaded and then
| Python gives me an error message (Traceback below). The same is true
| for the webbowser module. Is this a Python problem or a Firefox
| problem?
|
| Matthias

| Traceback (most recent call last):
| File "<pyshell#2>", line 1, in -toplevel-
| os.startfile('http://www.python.org')
| WindowsError: [Errno 2] Das System kann die angegebene Datei
| nicht finden: 'http://www.python.org'

| Traceback (most recent call last):
| File "<pyshell#4>", line 1, in -toplevel-
| webbrowser.open('http://www.python.org')
| File "C:\Python23\lib\webbrowser.py", line 43, in open
| get().open(url, new, autoraise)
| File "C:\Python23\lib\webbrowser.py", line 250, in open
| os.startfile(url)
| WindowsError: [Errno 2] Das System kann die angegebene Datei
| nicht finden: 'http://www.python.org'

I have the same issue with FF 0.9.1 (can't really say if I had the same
problem with prior versions - maybe I didn't notice) as default browser on
XP Prof. Not only when starting a url from Python, but also from other
programs, yes: even when double clicking a *.url. FF loads the page just
fine, but the "invoking program" always returns an error message.