OT (kinda) - Watch your domain name!

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

Today, I've been hit with a deluge of transfer requests for various domain
names that I manage. Almost all of them are coming from the Domain Registry
of America.

I believe they are taking advantage of ICANN's new policy regarding domain
name transfer requests, as outlined in this article:

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2004/11/09/domain_transfers_and_hijackings_to_become_easier.html

Basically, if you don't specifically say "no, don't transfer me!" - it will
automatically go through in 5 days.

1. Make absolutely sure that your correct email address is listed on your
domain name record. Don't assume you do and don't rely on someone else to do
it for you. CHECK IT NOW.

2. Make sure you reply to ANY transfer request you may get. Don't assume its
spam and don't ignore it!

3. Lock your domains. If you don't have access to do this, ask your
registrar to do it for you.

Please, everyone, be careful and be proactive when it comes to protecting
your domain name!

--Tina

Toby Inkster

Tina said:

Tina, are you aware of the loophole you as a registrar can exploit to save
your customers' domain names from hijacking?

When you get a request for transfer, send this message to the registered
owner:

AffordableHOST has recieved a request to transfer $DOMAIN to $NEWOWNER.
If you don't respond to this request in 5 days, we will automatically
honour the transfer request.

AffordableHOST has started locking down several of the domain names hosted
on our server -- this is a security feature designed to make you less
vulnerabble to domain hijackers. If you don't respond to this request in 4
days, we will automatically lock your domain.

Hugs and Kisses
Tina.

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

Toby Inkster said:
Tina, are you aware of the loophole you as a registrar can exploit to save
your customers' domain names from hijacking?

When you get a request for transfer, send this message to the registered
owner:

AffordableHOST has recieved a request to transfer $DOMAIN to $NEWOWNER.
If you don't respond to this request in 5 days, we will automatically
honour the transfer request.

AffordableHOST has started locking down several of the domain names hosted
on our server -- this is a security feature designed to make you less
vulnerabble to domain hijackers. If you don't respond to this request in 4
days, we will automatically lock your domain.

Hugs and Kisses
Tina.

We already lock all domains upon registration. We will gladly unlock them,
but the request must come from the customer.

Hugs and Kisses? LOL!

--Tina

brucie

In alt.design.graphics,alt.html Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc. said:
Today, I've been hit with a deluge of transfer requests for various domain
names that I manage.

it was the only way i could think of for you to talk to me

Matt Bostock

Wowwww. A cyclist that plays guitar. A guitarist that cycles. I'm
bemused... I wish I could fit my drum kit on a bike...

Matt