PAR, PAR::Packer

smueller

Hi comp.lang.perl.misc,

since people regularly ask about "compiling" Perl or, if they're a
little more educated about dynamic languages, about packaging Perl, I'm
quickly dropping by to announce that PAR will soon be split up into two
distributions.

The reason for this is that PAR has various use cases: One of those is
packaging applications and that feature requires a C build environment
to set up. Another use case is just using a .par file as a library to
load modules from. You wouldn't need a C compiler for that.

So, soon, there will be the PAR distribution itself and a separate
PAR-Packer distribution which contains the venerable "pp" utility for
packaging Perl applications. If questions about packaging Perl apps
arise, please don't just mention PAR but also PAR-Packer (or
PAR::packer).

In fact, once I make a release, you will be able to install the pp
utility and thus PAR::packer from the CPAN shell as

install pp

or, of course,

install PAR::packer

Cheers,
Steffen

John Bokma

Hi comp.lang.perl.misc,

since people regularly ask about "compiling" Perl or, if they're a
little more educated about dynamic languages

Does being a dynamic language stop a language from being compiled? The
only thing I can see is that for some cases the compiler needs to be
included to do run time compilation :-D.