Passing variable between asp login page and the redirected page

Steve

Hi All

I have an asp.net 2.0 web with a standard login control

I want to pass some extra variables to the redirected page after the successful login

I just can't get it to work. help much appreciated

Protected Sub Login1_Authenticate(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.AuthenticateEventArgs) Handles Login1.Authenticate

Context.Items.Clear()

Context.Items.Add("UserNamevalue", Me.Login1.UserName)

Context.Items.Add("mydbkeyvalue", 2)

FormsAuthentication.RedirectFromLoginPage("steve", False)

Server.Transfer("~/memberpages/demos.aspx", True)

End If

Catch ex As Exception

Response.Write(ex.Message)

End Try

End Sub

In a link button onclick event on the demos.aspx

Me.lblsamupdate.Text = "Context " & Context.Items("UserNamevalue").ToString

I get error 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object'

Why?????????

Michael Nemtsev, MVP

Hello Steve,

did you check that u have this variable in the context in receiver?

---
WBR,

S> Hi All
S>
S> I have an asp.net 2.0 web with a standard login control
S>
S> I want to pass some extra variables to the redirected page after the
S> successful login
S>
S> I just can't get it to work. help much appreciated
S>
S> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
S> ----------------
S>
S> Protected Sub Login1_Authenticate(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
S> System.Web.UI.WebControls.AuthenticateEventArgs) Handles
S> Login1.Authenticate
S>
S> Context.Items.Clear()
S>
S> Context.Items.Add("UserNamevalue", Me.Login1.UserName)
S>
S> Context.Items.Add("mydbkeyvalue", 2)
S>
S> FormsAuthentication.RedirectFromLoginPage("steve", False)
S>
S> Server.Transfer("~/memberpages/demos.aspx", True)
S>
S> End If
S>
S> Catch ex As Exception
S>
S> Response.Write(ex.Message)
S>
S> End Try
S>
S> End Sub
S>
S> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
S> -------------------------------------------------------------
S>
S> In a link button onclick event on the demos.aspx
S>
S> Me.lblsamupdate.Text = "Context " &
S> Context.Items("UserNamevalue").ToString
S>
S> I get error 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object'
S>
S> Why?????????

Guest

Steve.
I don't see how you can expect this to work:

FormsAuthentication.RedirectFromLoginPage("steve", False)
Server.Transfer("~/memberpages/demos.aspx", True)

Your first line causes the browser to request the redirect page.
the second line (Server.Transfer) will never execute.

Also, you could either stick the items into a cookie(s) or put them in
Session.

-- Peter
// Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.
http://www.eggheadcafe.com