Peer to Peer Architecture

KDawg44

Hello,

I need to lead a discussion on an interesting distributed computing
topic. I would like to do something about a Peer to Peer architecture
and an implementation of this in Java.

Does anyone have a suggestions on this? I have used the Chord
architecture with the OpenChord implementation. What is a real-world
used P2P architecture? Where can I find information on how to
implement this in java?

Thank you very much.

Kevin

Christian

KDawg44 said:
Hello,

I need to lead a discussion on an interesting distributed computing
topic. I would like to do something about a Peer to Peer architecture
and an implementation of this in Java.

Does anyone have a suggestions on this? I have used the Chord
architecture with the OpenChord implementation. What is a real-world
used P2P architecture? Where can I find information on how to
implement this in java?

Thank you very much.

Kevin

JXTA is a java p2p library that seems to evolve.. though nothing fancy.

Chord is rather bad compared to what is possible today, may be better
than CAN, but still it is from the Stone-age of p2p.
Kademlia is more often used today .. and based on Plaxton routing. It is
rather widely used in a lot of programs today. If you google for it
there seem to be some projects going on trying to create a java library
for it.. that might be a starting point.

As suggestion:
How about trying to implement some more modern or even simpler networks..

Distance Halfing for example is very simple and the graph it builds has
a smaller degree than Kademlia.
P-Grid, Skip-Net and 3-nuts .. would be some more interesting p2p
networks that allow searching for prefixes .. not just for hashvalues.

Sometimes it might be interesting not just to implement some
searchstructure .. but may be implement some download utility... though
beating bittorrent might be a bit hard ..

How about writing a plugin to Azureus that uses Kademlia or some alike
network to search for files? (and exchange tokens)...
Possibly also handle resharing requests automatically over this network?

Christian

Christian

Roedy said:

sry Roedy but I think that is not very informative. Even stating UDP
being more dominant in p2p than TCP might not be an easy claim.

May be better would be something like: Peer-to-peer is an architecture
opposing to client-server, where each computer is a peer. Services are
not provided from a server to clients, instead all peers are working
together to provide services to each other participating peer. Benefit
of this is as number of peers that want service rise also the number of
peers that provide service rise, therefore the system scales very well.

Christian