problem compiling project, classpath in xml ".classpath" "<classpathentry...>"

jameshanley39

problem compiling project, classpath in xml ".classpath"
"<classpathentry...>"

i'm trying to compile a project, it has about 70 jar files. Though it
may not use all 70.

I want to compile it from the command line. Though I think it was
intended to be compiled from some IDE.

Various parent directories have ".classpath" files

with contents in xml, such as

<classpath>.........
<classpathentry .................>

There are a few of these files one in each of a number of parent
directories.

I'd like to know what these xml files are written for. It's a layer
over java so it must produce a classpath which it passes to the JVM.

One option I have is to make a jar file that references all 70 jar
files in its manifest under Class-Path. Then when compiling the
program I just reference that one jar file. I've never done anything
like it but It's something i will try. But really i'd like to only use
the jar files that are used. And there may be clashes if I load all
the jars as I would there. Since most of the jars contain packages
with largely the same paths.

I'd like to know what would be parsing these .classpath files. It
looks like it may be some standard thing. I'd like to know if I can
and I should be able to, turn them into a classpath. Figure out all
the jar files being used. I suppose I could somehow write something
to parse them. But I think there must be a program that reads those
files otherwise how would it run the JVM. I'm hoping it's a standard
program/tool that does it.

Andrew Thompson

problem compiling project, classpath in xml ".classpath"
"<classpathentry...>"

i'm trying to compile a project, it has about 70 jar files. Though it
may not use all 70.

(big) Uh-huh..
I'd like to know what would be parsing these .classpath files.

...oh, what? That was the question?
From reading (OK - scanning) the text
above, the best advice I can give you
is to learn how to use ant, since it
will be much easier to sort which jars
are required from within the config.
file of a tool inteded for building
complex projects, than by messing about
with parameters on the command line.

As an aside, I guess that once you begin
to understand the ant build tool better,
all thoughts of doing builds from the
command line will vanish.

Building projects is much easier to do
using ant, whether invoking it from an
IDE, or the command line, as I commonly
do.

HTH

Andrew T.

jameshanley39

(big) Uh-huh..

..oh, what? That was the question?

above, the best advice I can give you
is to learn how to use ant, since it
will be much easier to sort which jars
are required from within the config.
file of a tool inteded for building
complex projects, than by messing about
with parameters on the command line.

As an aside, I guess that once you begin
to understand the ant build tool better,
all thoughts of doing builds from the
command line will vanish.

Building projects is much easier to do
using ant, whether invoking it from an
IDE, or the command line, as I commonly
do.

HTH

Andrew T.

I don't know which jar files it uses. Does ant figure that one out?
Even if it could, it'd still be stumped were there to be 2 jars that
have the same class at the same path.

Ideally I need something to parse these xml files. I think they are
related to Eclipse (edit..find...classpathentry) shows an examples of
whati i'm dealing with
http://jmri.sourceforge.net/doc/Technical/Eclipse.html

But I can do it without it a parser of that sort of thing. I'll look
into ant. I'll read those .classpath files manually, it won't take SO
long.
If it did take that long, I could write my own parser for it, it's
only xml, it's built to be parsed.

it's ok

but if anybody knows of this classpathentry format, if there is
already something to parse it, that'd be good.