problem on IE 5.0

Mr. x

Hello,

I have IE 6.0,
and I don't know how to check my site on IE 5.0.

I know that on IE 5.0 it looks badly, becuase some people who have IE 5.0
had told me so,
but how can I check what's wrong.

Look at www.moca.co.il/test/main.html (Hebrew site - good test for IE & also
Netscape).
Also www.moca.co.il (good test for IE only).

The problem is that on IE the main middle screen's size is not as expected
to be (776), and is aligned to left.

I have checked this in minimum 800x600 screen size, bot on IE6 and Netscape
7.0, and the site has not problem at that site.

What may be the problem for that ?
and how can I debug my site in current version of IE, and also for older
versions ?
(I have first installed the microsfot script debugger - I don't know how
much using it, and whether it supports .net)

Thanks :)

Thomas Mlynarczyk

Also sprach Mr. x:
I have IE 6.0,
and I don't know how to check my site on IE 5.0.

I know that on IE 5.0 it looks badly, becuase some people who have IE
5.0 had told me so,
but how can I check what's wrong.

Good It *IS* possible to have multiple versions of IE running on the
same PC, under the same OS without any additional software. Check out this
link: http://www.mezzoblue.com/archives/2003/11/06/ie_x_3/index.php. I've
tried it and now I have IE4.0, IE5.0, IE5.5 and IE6.0 all running on the
same PC!

Have fun!

William Tasso

Mr. x said:
I have IE 6.0,
and I don't know how to check my site on IE 5.0.

I know that on IE 5.0 it looks badly, becuase some people
who have IE 5.0 had told me so,
but how can I check what's wrong.

Why bother, IE5 is (at least) two versions out-of-date. Anybody still using
it is accustomed to seeing a pile of shite on the web. They're probably
using 8-bit graphics cards too and whingeing about your choice of colours.

brucie

Why bother, IE5 is (at least) two versions out-of-date.

not to mention only a few months shy of being *5 years* old which is a
shpxvat long time on the internet.

Nico Schuyt

Thomas said:
Good It *IS* possible to have multiple versions of IE running
on the same PC, under the same OS without any additional software.
Check out this link:
http://www.mezzoblue.com/archives/2003/11/06/ie_x_3/index.php. I've
tried it and now I have IE4.0, IE5.0, IE5.5 and IE6.0 all running on
the same PC!
Have fun!

I feel sooo stupid :-( (everybody seems to be able to let it work for him
except me ):
I followed exactly the instructions from
http://www.insert-title.com/web_design/?page=articles/dev/multi_IE
(Option "Safest Universal Technique (XP Pro/XP Home/2000")
After starting the resulting IEXPLORE.EXE I got a warning that I was about
to start IE5.5 and the question if I wanted IE5.5 to be my default browser.
Replied 'No' and ended up in IE6
????
Nico

Mr. x

Hello,
I didn't check this out yet.
but if it is true that I can have several browsers on my computer - it is a
great thing !!! and realy good news !!!

Thanks :)

William Tasso

brucie said:
not to mention only a few months shy of being *5 years* old which is a
shpxvat long time on the internet.

my oh my - doesn't time fly when you're having fun.

Thomas Mlynarczyk

Why bother, IE5 is (at least) two versions out-of-date. Anybody still
using
it is accustomed to seeing a pile of shite on the web. They're probably
using 8-bit graphics cards too and whingeing about your choice of colours.

About half of all IE users still use 5.x versions. I'm still using IE5 and I
am not accustomed to seeing any shit on the web that I wouldn't also see
with other browers. Oh, yes, and I have 32bit colors. It will still be a few
years until IE5 can be considered as dead as IE4 today.

Thomas Mlynarczyk

I feel sooo stupid :-( (everybody seems to be able to let it work for him
except me ):
I followed exactly the instructions from
http://www.insert-title.com/web_design/?page=articles/dev/multi_IE
(Option "Safest Universal Technique (XP Pro/XP Home/2000")
After starting the resulting IEXPLORE.EXE I got a warning that I was about
to start IE5.5 and the question if I wanted IE5.5 to be my default browser.
Replied 'No' and ended up in IE6

Was IE6 your default browser before? If not, try again with IE6 set as
default browser.

I took my downloads from
http://www.nachtarchiv.de/Webdesign.html?reportage=25 (found this site
following a link on the site I gave you). Here are the direct links:

http://www.genetik.uni-bonn.de/download/IE55.zip
http://www.genetik.uni-bonn.de/download/IE501.zip
http://www.genetik.uni-bonn.de/download/IE401mod.zip

I unzipped the files, double-clicked the IEXPLORE.EXE and got my IEs running
without problems (WinXPHome with "native" IE6 installed). There *are* a few
points to keep in mind, however: First, there may be problems when trying to
access features like the bookmark list (they say this would cause a crash),
I've noticed some error messages when trying to get the help->about info
etc. Also, the additional browsers may report a wrong version number. That's
all because to the OS, there's still just one IE and all the others use some
features (or try to use them) from the "main" IE's ressources (like registry
info or the bookmarks). But the rendering is genuine, and that's what
matters for testing.

Here are some icons for all thoese IE's:
http://www.sonicdeath.co.uk/stuff/ie-multiple-icons.zip

Have fun!

Nico Schuyt

Was IE6 your default browser before? If not, try again with IE6 set as
default browser.

I did. No effect.
Maybe it has something to do with the language module. Dutch, but I end up
in an IE6 with English menu.
I took my downloads from
http://www.nachtarchiv.de/Webdesign.html?reportage=25 (found this site
following a link on the site I gave you). Here are the direct links:
<snip>

Tried that. At least a lot faster than the 80Mb I downloaded myself from
http://browsers.evolt.org :)
Alas: IE6 starts again. English menu this time and there's an error message
(96; unidentified) when I try to look at the version information.
Have fun!

You keep saying that :0 So far the only effect is that I'm very depressive.

But I appreciate your help. I'll try it again after installing the OS again
(XP Pro-version instead of Home edition)

Thanks anyhow!
Nico

Thomas Mlynarczyk

Also sprach Nico Schuyt:
Maybe it has something to do with the language module. Dutch, but I
end up in an IE6 with English menu.

Possible. But I use the German version of WinXP and had no problem...
...there's an error
message (96; unidentified) when I try to look at the version
information.

That's normal. And even when it works, it would probably not give you the
right version anyway. As I said: the system thinks there's only one IE.
You keep saying that :0 So far the only effect is that I'm very
depressive.

I'm sorry. Which older version of IE did you try? I remember, I had also
downloaded a different IE5.5 version (without SP), so the IE5.5 version for
which I gave the link is actually not the one I tested. Maybe it has
something to do with a Service Pack.
But I appreciate your help. I'll try it again after installing the OS
again (XP Pro-version instead of Home edition)

Good luck! I hope you'll get it working this time.

Thomas Mlynarczyk

Also sprach Spartanicus:
It didn't work for me either (w98).

I haven't tested it on Win98 and I think there were some problems reported
with Win98... Anyway: you must have installed IE6 on your system, otherwise
it will not work.

Thomas Mlynarczyk

Also sprach Toby A Inkster:
What nonsense. More like a quarter. Probably less still.

What are the sources for your statistics? Maybe the percentage has dropped
indeed, but certainly not so far as to legitimate ignoring IE5 users.

Spartanicus

Thomas said:
I haven't tested it on Win98 and I think there were some problems reported
with Win98... Anyway: you must have installed IE6 on your system, otherwise
it will not work.

Originally I had 5.5 installed, but I also tried installing 6, alas this
also didn't work (all "versions" behaved as 6).

Nico Schuyt

Thomas said:
Also sprach Nico Schuyt:
I'm sorry.

Don't bother. It was just a joke :)
Which older version of IE did you try? I remember, I had
also downloaded a different IE5.5 version (without SP), so the IE5.5
version for which I gave the link is actually not the one I tested.
Maybe it has something to do with a Service Pack.

It was indeed the IE5.5 from your link

Cheers, Nico

Nico Schuyt

Spartanicus said:
Thomas Mlynarczyk wrote:
Originally I had 5.5 installed, but I also tried installing 6, alas
this also didn't work
(all "versions" behaved as 6).

This must be very frustrating for Thomas: Finally a chance voor eternal fame
and glory (at least in this ng) and than everybody says it doesn't work :)
But I stay hopefull. It looked like the best news I read in the past 3
months.

Nico