Problem serving web pages

GriffithsJ

I'm running Win2000 with IIS installed.

My PC was working perfectly, until today.

Now, when I go to http://localhost/... it will show any HTML pages BUT, if I
change the extension to ASP (even with no ASP code in the file) then I get a
"page can not be displayed" error.

I get an accompanying warning in the System log

The server failed to load application '/LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT/WebApps'. The error
was 'General access denied error'.

What could be the reason for this?

Thanks

Griff

CJM

Sounds like a problem I have got.

I was screwed by a MS Critical Patch a few weeks ago, and have been trying
ever since to fix it. I've given up hope and intend to wipe the m/c this
weekend.

Although your problem might not be exactly the same, you should check the
advice given - you will hopefully have better luck with fixing it.

Look a a thread I started on 20/5/04 entitled 'Can't render ASP pages on
IIS5.1' - there are slightly differing responses in the .iis & .asp.general
groups, so check both.

Good Luck

CJM

GH

If you installed anything or changed any configurations, roll them back
if possible. Otherwise double check URLScan and make sure that you have
it configured to allow .asp extensions ( if you have URLScan installed
). I believe it has them turned off by default....

GriffithsJ

Hmmm

Can you identify exactly which patch it was that caused it?

I've also got an event in the Application Log:

CJM

GriffithsJ said:
Hmmm

Can you identify exactly which patch it was that caused it?

I cant remember exactly, but it was the patch towards the end of
April/beginning of May that was a rollup of 14 individual patches.
I've also got an event in the Application Log:
--
Windows cannot unload your registry file. If you have a roaming profile,
your settings are not replicated. Contact your administrator.

DETAIL - Access is denied. , Build number ((2195)).
--

I didnt have this error or anything like it, but that doesnt mean much (see
below).

Actually, I should have said - my machine IS on XP Pro, which was
frustrating because most of the help and advice seemed to be aimed at Win2k!

GriffithsJ

Actually, I should have said - my machine IS on XP Pro, which was
frustrating because most of the help and advice seemed to be aimed at
Win2k!

I think I've tried virtually all the Win2K advice, didn't solve the problem
though.

My machine doesn't auto-update itself, I marshal that activity! However, I
believe that mine all started when I'd installed the MS Web Application
Stress Tool (WAST) on my machine. I've uninstalled it, but didn't help. I
already had .NET VS2003 on my machine and used the MS Application Center
Test application.

Will spend the next day or two backing up my data before I re-format it.
I'll continue attempting to find a fix, but come next week it's curtains for
this PC.

Jeff Cochran

I'm running Win2000 with IIS installed.

My PC was working perfectly, until today.

Now, when I go to http://localhost/... it will show any HTML pages BUT, if I
change the extension to ASP (even with no ASP code in the file) then I get a
"page can not be displayed" error.

I get an accompanying warning in the System log

The server failed to load application '/LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT/WebApps'. The error
was 'General access denied error'.

What could be the reason for this?

Permissions have been changed. Possibly to the ASP DLL. Have you
checked them?

Jeff